McClatchy DC Logo

Bin Laden's ex-driver Hamdan sends news from Yemen | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National Security

Bin Laden's ex-driver Hamdan sends news from Yemen

Carol Rosenberg - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

February 10, 2010 03:38 PM

At a time when the Pentagon is trying to figure out how many freed Guantanamo detainees have resumed their jihad comes news of a different sort from Yemen:

Osama bin Laden's former driver has a new son.

The boy was born Jan. 11 in the Yemeni capital, Sana'a, to Salim Hamdan and his wife — 14 months after Hamdan was returned to Yemen from Guantanamo, where he was convicted of war crimes in August 2008.

The boy's birthday fell on the eighth anniversary of the opening of the prison camps in southeast Cuba that President Barack Obama wants to close.

SIGN UP

"Mom and baby boy are both healthy and Salim is very excited,'' said Seattle attorney Harry Schneider, whose Perkins Coie law firm defended the driver in both military and civilian courts, free of cost.

Hamdan, now 40, was convicted by a military jury of providing material support for terrorism and conspiracy. Prosecutors were stunned, however, when that same jury rejected their call for a 30-year sentence and ordered him to serve just five and a half months, plus the time he'd already spent at Guantanamo.

Now Schneider and other volunteer lawyers want those convictions overturned. They argued before a military appeals panel Jan. 26 that conspiracy and material support for terrorism were not war crimes at the time of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks — nor at the time of Hamdan's capture by U.S. troops two months later in Afghanistan.

The case of the $200-a-month driver with a fourth-grade education confounded the Bush administration for years.

In 2006, the U.S. Supreme Court sided with Hamdan and his lawyers, and found the Bush administration's scheme for trying suspected terrorists before military commission unconstitutional and sent the White House to Congress for permission to hold the trials.

Two years later, his truncated sentence meant Hamdan went home to his wife and two daughters before President George W. Bush left office.

Since then, Hamdan has been spurning requests for interviews and cobbling together a living as a part-time driver. He doesn't own a car and is a "devoted, doting father,'' Schneider said.

The snapshot of family life comes as a time when a far more sinister Yemen is in the spotlight — as the suspected training ground of the alleged Christmas Day bomber, Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab.

Abdulmutallab, a Nigerian who attempted to detonate explosives sewn into his underwear aboard a Detroit-bound flight, has been linked to a Yemeni offshoot of al Qaida that's emerged in videotapes featuring two angry former Guantanamo detainees, Saudi citizens like bin Laden.

In the aftermath, Obama halted the transfer of Yemeni detainees, who make up nearly half of the Guantanamo population.

Schneider and fellow Seattle attorney Joseph McMillan say Hamdan is a role model for re-entry into society.

The lawyers have long argued that Hamdan worked for the wealthy bin Laden to escape from a poverty that permitted him to marry and have a family, not for ideology.

"They know that he's not a threat to anyone, or to the regime,'' McMillan said by telephone from Seattle, referring to the Yemeni government. "His focus is, and always has been, trying to make a living for his family.''

A three-judge Pentagon panel heard the appeal of Hamdan's convictions at the U.S. Court for Military Commissions Review Jan. 26. It could take months to rule.

(Rosenberg reports for The Miami Herald.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

"Guantanamo panel: 50 detainees should be held indefinitely

Al Qaida threat growing in Yemen, Congress hears

Obama's Guantanamo policy puts Yemenis in limbo

Follow McClatchy's national security coverage at Nukes & Spooks.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

HOMEPAGE

See the images of Guantanamo detainees at The Miami Herald

January 11, 2010 07:07 AM

HOMEPAGE

Special report: 'Guantanamo: Beyond the Law'

May 21, 2009 12:47 PM

HOMEPAGE

Guantanamo Bay Detainee Litigation ruling at FindLaw.com

May 20, 2009 02:39 PM

HOMEPAGE

After Guantanamo

May 04, 2009 11:07 AM

HOMEPAGE

More Guantanamo coverage from the Miami Herald

May 01, 2009 08:16 PM

HOMEPAGE

British release classified details of detainee's treatment

February 10, 2010 10:01 PM

  Comments  

Videos

West Virginia Secretary of State’s office announces pilot program for mobile voting app

TSA releases new audio from September 11, 2001

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

The abrupt resignation of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis has left our closest ally in the Middle East shaken as Israel comes to grips with even greater implications after the United States announced it was leaving Syria.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL SECURITY

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM
Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

Congress

Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

December 20, 2018 02:59 PM
Lindsey Graham slams Trump for declaring victory over ISIS in Syria

Congress

Lindsey Graham slams Trump for declaring victory over ISIS in Syria

December 19, 2018 01:22 PM
Military panel’s top Dem: War Powers Resolution won’t move White House on Yemen

National Security

Military panel’s top Dem: War Powers Resolution won’t move White House on Yemen

December 12, 2018 04:32 PM
Khashoggi’s friends, other foreigners, are being watched. The U.S. can do little about it

Cyber Security

Khashoggi’s friends, other foreigners, are being watched. The U.S. can do little about it

December 11, 2018 05:00 AM
Military’s push for solar backup power loses speed under Trump

Energy

Military’s push for solar backup power loses speed under Trump

November 28, 2018 11:20 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story