McClatchy DC Logo

Tipsters in Moussaoui case still quarreling over FBI reward | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National Security

Tipsters in Moussaoui case still quarreling over FBI reward

Greg Gordon - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 08, 2009 06:24 PM

WASHINGTON — The FBI has belatedly awarded $100,000 to a former Minnesota flight school manager whose phone tip eight years ago led to the arrest of al Qaida conspirator Zacarias Moussaoui, but the bureau gave nothing to a man widely credited as a second tipster.

The reward to Tim Nelson amounts to 2 percent of the $5 million bestowed in January 2008 on an instructor at the Pan American International Flight Academy, where Moussaoui was taking lessons in flying a 747 jumbo jet before he was detained.

The six-figure check wasn't enough, however, to end a nearly two-year-old controversy over who deserves credit for Moussaoui's arrest. Underscoring his anger over the size of flight instructor Clarence Prevost's reward, Nelson filed complaints Tuesday asking two federal inspectors general to investigate whether Prevost cashed in by exaggerating his role as a tipster.

Nelson, a flight engineer who worked as a contract manager at the school until 2004, charged that the awards were "manipulated" to dispense checks that met neither "the criteria or spirit" of the State Department's secretive Rewards for Justice Program.

SIGN UP

On Monday, the FBI also awarded $50,000 to Alan McHale, the school's former No. 2 official, people familiar with the matter said. McHale could not be reached for comment, and there was no immediate explanation as to why he got his reward.

Hugh Sims, another former program manager who's repeatedly described phoning the bureau hours after Nelson, was passed over without recognition.

E.K. Wilson, a spokesman for the FBI's Minneapolis office, said that "for security and privacy reasons," the bureau is "not even confirming that any of these guys were nominated for any awards."

Nelson and his wife, Jodie, accepted his $100,000 reward last week, culminating a lengthy process requiring the signoff of Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. During a tense meeting at the FBI's Minneapolis office, Nelson told McClatchy, he vented after years of frustration, criticizing the bureau for fumbling the reward process and the investigation of Moussaoui.

He said he told FBI agents that they missed a chance to nab at least one Sept. 11 hijacker by failing to check Pan Am's other 13 U.S. flight schools for Middle Eastern students who were loners like Moussaoui.

While he appreciates the money, Nelson said, he told agents that "there were things that were done wrong — and wrong is wrong. . . . If I had a choice of taking my $100,000 or you getting back your $5 million for taxpayers, I'd rather you get your $5 million back."

Aimed at encouraging private citizens to turn in suspected terrorists, the rewards program offers cash for "actionable" information. In the Moussaoui case, however, the process degenerated into accusations and finger pointing.

Nelson asked inspectors general for the Justice Department and State Department to examine why Prevost got 50 times more money than he did and why Sims got none. He alleged that Prevost, in testimony at Moussaoui's 2006 sentencing trial, concocted a grandiose account in taking credit for prompting calls to the FBI.

Harry Samit, the highly regarded lead agent in the Moussaoui investigation, said during last week's meeting that Prevost got a big reward because "he testified," Nelson said. Timothy Gossfeld, an assistant agent in charge of the Minneapolis office, immediately stepped in, insisting that the bureau doesn't pay witnesses, he said.

Despite Prevost's testimony that pressed superiors to notify the FBI, he arranged for Moussaoui to observe another student's session in a 747 flight simulator.

Prevost, reportedly in ailing health, couldn't be reached to comment.

Sims, a highly decorated retired Air Force pilot, said that he was "shocked and embarrassed" when the FBI recently told him it had no record of his 2001 phone tip a couple of hours after Nelson's. Federal law enforcement officials acknowledged years ago, however, that both men phoned.

In exasperation, Sims said, he dialed FBI headquarters Monday and reached Dave Rapp, the former Minneapolis agent who took Nelson's phone tip. He said that Rapp remembered him and his 2001 phone call as well.

Rapp didn't respond to a phone message from McClatchy.

The latest rewards were distributed 22 months after two Minnesota senators, Democrat Amy Klobuchar and Republican Norm Coleman, asked the Bush administration to review whether anyone had been overlooked.

Moussaoui, who was arrested nearly a month before the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, pleaded guilty to terrorism conspiracy charges in April 2005. A year later, a federal court jury spared him the death penalty.

Minneapolis FBI agents have been widely heralded for relentlessly pushing for a court-approved warrant to search Moussaoui's possessions in the weeks after his arrest, only to be stymied by officials at FBI headquarters.

After the Sept. 11 attacks, which killed nearly 3,000 people, a search of Moussaoui's belongings turned up clues, including references to overseas money transfers, which might have led agents to several hijackers.

Nelson said that FBI agents didn't need a warrant to check Pan Am's other 13 facilities for Middle Eastern students who, like Moussaoui, had limited flight experience, were unaffiliated with an airline and paid with cash or by credit card.

Nelson recalled that a Minneapolis FBI agent seemed shocked at the mention of Pan Am's Miami headquarters in a phone conversation three days after the Sept. 11 attacks.

The agent responded, "What do you mean? There's more than one Pan Am?'' Nelson recalled.

"I said, 'There are like 14 in the U.S.' He kind of sucked air and said, 'Oh, man, there's more than one of you!' It was a surprise or a shock to him."

Had FBI agents checked the other schools, they might have found that another loner, Hani Hanjour, had taken lessons in flying a Boeing 757 commercial jet at a Pan Am-owned facility in Phoenix. On Sept. 11, Hanjour crashed an American Airlines jet into the Pentagon.

The discovery of Hanjour might, in turn, have triggered a nationwide flight school search that identified other hijackers.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Moussaoui tipsters overlooked for $5 million reward

Senators question why terror tipsters were skunked

Former immigration officials rap $5 million Moussaoui reward

New York trials for 9/11 suspects raise new safety concerns

  Comments  

Videos

West Virginia Secretary of State’s office announces pilot program for mobile voting app

TSA releases new audio from September 11, 2001

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

The abrupt resignation of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis has left our closest ally in the Middle East shaken as Israel comes to grips with even greater implications after the United States announced it was leaving Syria.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL SECURITY

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM
Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

Congress

Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

December 20, 2018 02:59 PM
Lindsey Graham slams Trump for declaring victory over ISIS in Syria

Congress

Lindsey Graham slams Trump for declaring victory over ISIS in Syria

December 19, 2018 01:22 PM
Military panel’s top Dem: War Powers Resolution won’t move White House on Yemen

National Security

Military panel’s top Dem: War Powers Resolution won’t move White House on Yemen

December 12, 2018 04:32 PM
Khashoggi’s friends, other foreigners, are being watched. The U.S. can do little about it

Cyber Security

Khashoggi’s friends, other foreigners, are being watched. The U.S. can do little about it

December 11, 2018 05:00 AM
Military’s push for solar backup power loses speed under Trump

Energy

Military’s push for solar backup power loses speed under Trump

November 28, 2018 11:20 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story