McClatchy DC Logo

Cuba spying suspects will remain in jail until trial | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National Security

Cuba spying suspects will remain in jail until trial

Lesley Clark - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

June 10, 2009 06:22 PM

WASHINGTON — The posh apartment where accused Cuban spies Walter Kendall Myers and his wife, Gwendolyn, live is 2.6 miles from the Cuban's government's equivalent of an embassy — too close to stop them if they tried to flee, a U.S. magistrate said Wednesday, ordering the couple jailed pending trial.

"Once they enter that building," U.S. Magistrate Judge John Facciola of the U.S. District Court in Washington wrote in his order, "they will have effectively fled from the United States."

The former State Department employee, 72, and his wife, 71, who've been held without bond since they pleaded not guilty last week to charges of wire fraud, serving as illegal agents for Cuba and conspiring to deliver classified information, appeared together in court, clad in rumpled blue jail jumpsuits and white T-shirts. Both listened intently, though they showed little emotion.

Through their attorney, Tom Green, they asked to be allowed to be detained at home, under supervision. They noted that they had ties to the area, and four children between them.

SIGN UP

Facciola, however, sided with government prosecutors, who say the Myerses spied for Cuba for nearly 30 years and pose a significant flight risk. Facciola said he believes the government's case that the pair spied for Cuba is "very strong" and that "the greater the possibility of conviction, the greater the motivation to flee."

Because the United States doesn't have diplomatic relations with Cuba, it would have no standing to apprehend the couple, he wrote.

"And, as a matter of common sense and international comity, it is fanciful to even suggest that the United States would invade the Cuban Interests Section to remove the defendants," he said.

Facciola noted that the couple is charged with offenses that carry recommended prison sentences of between 14 and 17 years.

"If convicted, they face incarceration for what may very well be the rest of their lives," he said. "That fate provides a most compelling motivation to flee and avoid it at all costs."

He also wrote that the United States doesn't have an extradition treaty with Cuba and that if the Myerses fled to Cuba, "a country they have described as their home," they couldn't be sent back to the United States.

He suggested that Cuba "has a powerful motivation to assist them."

"There is not a single imaginable reason why Cuba would want the defendants to remain in the United States subject to prosecution," he wrote.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Gordon Michael Harvey called the couple "plainly a serious flight risk" and argued during the 40-minute detention hearing that the Myerses are accomplished sailors who own a 37-foot yacht.

The Myerses — who were arrested after they divulged a life of espionage to an undercover FBI source they thought was a Cuban intelligence officer — told the FBI that they had plans to leave the United States for Cuba. Harvey also said the couple has the means to leave, noting that Walter Kendall Myers has an inheritance and $500,000 in investments.

Facciola — noting that he'd arraigned convicted Cuban spy Ana Belen Montes on an espionage charge that carried the death penalty — asked Harvey whether prosecutors would be charging the couple with espionage. Montes was sentenced to 25 years in prison.

Harvey called the current charges "significantly serious," but noted that the case is ongoing. Investigators now have access to the couple's computer back-up files "and we anticipate that we may well be looking at additional charges against the Myerses," he said.

The couple is scheduled to appear on June 17 before Judge Reggie Walton for a status hearing.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Castro calls spy case against U.S. couple 'ridiculous'

U.S. couple spied for Cuba for 30 years, investigators allege

Ex State Department official, wife charged as Cuban spies

Follow the latest politics news at McClatchy's Planet Washington

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Cuba turns down chance to rejoin OAS

June 08, 2009 12:32 PM

world

Cuba could become U.S. oil supplier at embargo's end

June 08, 2009 06:53 AM

world

U.S. couple spied for Cuba for 30 years, investigators allege

June 05, 2009 09:47 PM

  Comments  

Videos

West Virginia Secretary of State’s office announces pilot program for mobile voting app

TSA releases new audio from September 11, 2001

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

The abrupt resignation of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis has left our closest ally in the Middle East shaken as Israel comes to grips with even greater implications after the United States announced it was leaving Syria.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL SECURITY

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM
Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

Congress

Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

December 20, 2018 02:59 PM
Lindsey Graham slams Trump for declaring victory over ISIS in Syria

Congress

Lindsey Graham slams Trump for declaring victory over ISIS in Syria

December 19, 2018 01:22 PM
Military panel’s top Dem: War Powers Resolution won’t move White House on Yemen

National Security

Military panel’s top Dem: War Powers Resolution won’t move White House on Yemen

December 12, 2018 04:32 PM
Khashoggi’s friends, other foreigners, are being watched. The U.S. can do little about it

Cyber Security

Khashoggi’s friends, other foreigners, are being watched. The U.S. can do little about it

December 11, 2018 05:00 AM
Military’s push for solar backup power loses speed under Trump

Energy

Military’s push for solar backup power loses speed under Trump

November 28, 2018 11:20 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story