McClatchy DC Logo

Navy admiral takes top U.S. military post | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National Security

Navy admiral takes top U.S. military post

Nancy A. Youssef - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

October 01, 2007 05:47 PM

WASHNGTON — Navy Adm. Michael Mullen and Marine Gen. Peter Pace offered different visions of U.S. involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan on Monday at the ceremony that marked Mullen's ascendancy to the top U.S. military post and Pace's retirement from it.

Mullen, in his first act as the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, spoke of the day the United States will leave Iraq and Afghanistan and said the United States must "be ready for who and what comes after."

Pace, who sworn Mullen in as his last official act as chairman, defended his controversial tenure, saying the United States was in two wars because "the enemy . . . has declared war on us."

Mullen, the former chief of naval operations, has criticized the military's performance of the war at times and has fretted publicly about the strain that two wars have put on an all-volunteer military. Pace, who wasn't reappointed because of objections in Congress, has steadfastly backed the military's performance.

SIGN UP

The change-of-command ceremony took place at Fort Myer, Va. President Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney, Defense Secretary Robert Gates and former Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld attended.

In his previous post, Mullen had little experience in Iraq. But he alluded Monday to the strain that the wars have been on the military, especially the Army. Of the more than 519,000 soldiers who have served in Iraq, 200,000 have done more than one tour of duty.

Last week, Gen. George Casey, the chief of staff for the Army, warned that the Army couldn't handle another conflict. Mullen said he'd address that in his new post.

"We reset, reconstitute and revitalize our armed forces, especially our ground forces, and we properly balance our risks around the globe. So fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan will one day end; we must be ready for who and what comes after. That's the promise we've made," Mullen said.

"We owe it to the American people and to all of you, our men and women in uniform and your families, to provide you with the clear direction, outstanding equipment and focused policies you need to do your job."

Pace, who'd served as either the vice chairman or the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff since October 2001, has been at the center of every major military move of Bush's presidency, including the decision to invade Iraq. Some war critics have complained that he didn't speak up as it became clear that U.S. military strategy wasn't working there.

Pace refuted that, however, turning to President Bush and thanking him for listening to various viewpoints. He blasted calls to withdraw quickly or set a timeline to withdraw.

"I just want everyone to understand that this dialogue is not about can we vote our way out of a war. We have an enemy who has declared war on us. We are in a war. They want to stop us from living the way we want to live our lives," Pace said.

"We will prevail," he said. "There's no doubt about that. "

Pace recalled how the deaths of Marines he'd ordered into battle as a second lieutenant in Vietnam affected him emotionally. He kept a photo of the first Marine killed in that battle on his desk at the Pentagon.

He said he'd vowed then to serve the country in a way that honored their sacrifice.

"I am still in debt, but I leave today knowing that I have tried to fulfill that promise and in doing so have been led on an incredible journey," Pace said.

Incoming Joint Chiefs Chairman Mullen wrote a letter to the U.S. military Monday. Read it: http://www.defenselink.mil/pdf/letter-to-troops.pdf

Defense Secretary Robert Gates spoke at the change-of-command ceremony. Read his speech: http://www.defenselink.mil/speeches/speech.aspx?speechid(equal sign)1180

The Defense Department's tribute page to outgoing Joint Chiefs Chairman Marine Gen. Peter Pace: http://www.defenselink.mil/home/features/2007/Pace(underscore)Farewell

Related stories from McClatchy DC

HOMEPAGE

A farewell to Gen. Peter Pace

October 01, 2007 05:23 PM

HOMEPAGE

Secretary of Defense Gates bids farewell to Gen. Peter Pace.

October 01, 2007 05:16 PM

latest-news

Admiral Mullen's letter to the troops.

October 01, 2007 05:22 PM

  Comments  

Videos

West Virginia Secretary of State’s office announces pilot program for mobile voting app

TSA releases new audio from September 11, 2001

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Read Next

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

The abrupt resignation of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis has left our closest ally in the Middle East shaken as Israel comes to grips with even greater implications after the United States announced it was leaving Syria.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL SECURITY

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM
Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

Congress

Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

December 20, 2018 02:59 PM
Lindsey Graham slams Trump for declaring victory over ISIS in Syria

Congress

Lindsey Graham slams Trump for declaring victory over ISIS in Syria

December 19, 2018 01:22 PM
Military panel’s top Dem: War Powers Resolution won’t move White House on Yemen

National Security

Military panel’s top Dem: War Powers Resolution won’t move White House on Yemen

December 12, 2018 04:32 PM
Khashoggi’s friends, other foreigners, are being watched. The U.S. can do little about it

Cyber Security

Khashoggi’s friends, other foreigners, are being watched. The U.S. can do little about it

December 11, 2018 05:00 AM
Military’s push for solar backup power loses speed under Trump

Energy

Military’s push for solar backup power loses speed under Trump

November 28, 2018 11:20 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story