McClatchy DC Logo

Sequestration results in suspension of military tuition assistance program | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Economy

Sequestration results in suspension of military tuition assistance program

Rick Plumlee - Wichita Eagle

    ORDER REPRINT →

March 13, 2013 12:48 PM

Automatic defense spending cuts has resulted this week in the suspension of the military tuition assistance program for service members for the rest of fiscal year 2013 for most branches, including the Air Force.

That could affect more than 3,000 airmen at Wichita’s McConnell Air Force Base who are eligible for the program. About half of those airmen received college tuition money from the program in fiscal year 2012.

The suspension doesn’t affect those currently enrolled in classes using previously approved tuition assistance, a base spokesman said.

The fiscal year ends Sept. 30. The Air Force said it will evaluate the program in coming months to determine if it will be renewed the following year.

SIGN UP

The suspension came after the defense department comptroller told the service branches they should consider “significant reductions in funding new tuition assistance applicants, effective immediately,” Leslie HullRyde, a department spokeswoman, said in an e-mail.

The recommendation was the result of automatic spending cuts – known as sequestration – that began March 1.

Each service branch is responsible for funding and administering the tuition assistance program.

Besides the Air Force, the Army and Marine Corps chose this week to suspend their programs. The Navy is still reviewing its options, according to the defense department.

“This program enables the professional and personal development of our service members,” HullRyde said, “and also facilitates their transition to the civilian workforce.”

The program can only be used by active duty service members pursuing an educational goal. Members of National Guard and reserve units can use the program while on active duty. The program pays up to $4,500 a year per student.

At McConnell in fiscal year 2012, 1,547 airmen with the 22nd Air Refueling Wing, the reserve’s 931st Air Refueling Group and Kansas Air National Guard’s 184th Intelligence Wing received tuition money from the program.

Guard members also can use a tuition assistance program funded by the state. That program is still available, a spokesman said.

In fiscal year 2012, the program provided $194 million to more than 104,000 airmen to take college courses, according to the Air Force. The airmen used the money to help them earn nearly 27,000 associate degrees, 2,400 baccalaureate degrees and almost 3,400 graduate degrees.

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

President Trump makes surprise visit to troops in Iraq

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

This is not what Vladimir Putin wanted for Christmas

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Read Next

Are Muslim-owned accounts being singled out by big banks ?
Video media Created with Sketch.

Policy

Are Muslim-owned accounts being singled out by big banks ?

By Kevin G. Hall and

Rob Wile

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 17, 2018 07:00 AM

Despite outcry several years ago, U.S. banks are back in the spotlight as more Muslim customers say they’ve had accounts frozen and/or closed with no explanation given. Is it discrimination or bank prudence?

KEEP READING

MORE ECONOMY

The lights are back on, but after $3.2B will Puerto Rico’s grid survive another storm?

National

The lights are back on, but after $3.2B will Puerto Rico’s grid survive another storm?

September 20, 2018 07:00 AM
Title-pawn shops ‘keep poor people poor.’ Who’s protecting Georgians from debt traps?

Investigations

Title-pawn shops ‘keep poor people poor.’ Who’s protecting Georgians from debt traps?

September 20, 2018 12:05 PM

Agriculture

Citrus disease could kill California industry if Congress slows research, growers warn

September 11, 2018 03:01 AM

Politics & Government

The GOP’s new attack: Democrats wants to ‘end’ Medicare

September 07, 2018 05:00 AM
KS congressman: Farmers are ‘such great patriots’ they’ll ride out Trump trade woes

Economy

KS congressman: Farmers are ‘such great patriots’ they’ll ride out Trump trade woes

August 30, 2018 02:17 PM
Democrats’ fall strategy: Stop talking Trump

Midterms

Democrats’ fall strategy: Stop talking Trump

August 24, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story