McClatchy DC Logo

U.S. Treasury, banks look for TARP exit plan | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Economy

U.S. Treasury, banks look for TARP exit plan

Andrew Dunn - The Charlotte Observer

    ORDER REPRINT →

February 21, 2012 07:07 AM

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — The federal government's desire to end the politically unpopular bank bailout program could change how a number of Charlotte-area community banks pay back their share.

As the nation heads into a presidential election year, the U.S. Treasury has begun communicating with community banks around the country as it plans an exit from the Troubled Asset Relief Program.

The government cannot force banks to repay TARP, under the terms of the capital investments brokered at the height of the financial crisis. To extricate itself, the Treasury is considering selling its stakes to third parties or restructuring their terms, said a Treasury official who asked not to be named because the process has not been made public.

Charlotte-area bank executives said they don't expect the initiative to bring dramatic changes. They've already weighed an exit as the investments are set to become more costly to the banks.

SIGN UP

But depending on how aggressive the government decides to be, the Treasury's moves could mean local banks will be able to put the bailout behind them at a discount.

The Treasury could also auction off its TARP investments to private equity firms or push community banks to merge.

In fall 2008, President George W. Bush signed into law the plan to inject $205 billion into more than 700 banks, largely as preferred stock, to help shore up their balance sheets as the financial crisis rocked capital levels and threatened liquidity.

Bank of America received $45 billion, which it repaid by the end of 2009. Wells Fargo got $25 billion, paid off about the same time.

But as of last month, about $16.8 billion in TARP capital purchase program principal remained to be repaid from about 370 banks, according to the U.S. Treasury. Most of them are community banks. Two dozen North Carolina-based banks had $409 million still on the books.

Despite the outstanding investment, the program has been profitable, according to reports from the U.S. Treasury and the General Accountability Office. Income received from full repayments, dividends and interest, and other payments exceeded the total the government laid out. The GAO estimates the program will earn $13 billion over its lifetime.

But the government has been under increasing pressure to end its involvement. The most recent quarterly report from the Special Inspector General for the TARP program pushed for a concrete plan to unwind investments in community banks to remove uncertainty in the market. It said the Treasury's next steps would be critical.

Getting out

In late November, the Treasury sent a letter to all banks still in the TARP program, saying the government had hired Houlihan Lokey Capital Inc. for $4.5 million as a consultant to explore options about the "management and ultimate recovery" of the Treasury's investments, according to the letter.

A few weeks later, Houlihan Lokey consultants began calling bank executives around the country, including a number in the Charlotte area, asking about their plans for the TARP investments and whether repayment could come soon.

"I told them no," said Wes Sturges, CEO of Charlotte-based Bank of Commerce. "We're in no rush to pay it off."

His bank received $3 million in January 2009 and has made the 5 percent dividend payments required. He said the bank plans to reconsider its options. Many community banks around the country still struggle with loan losses, making swift repayment unlikely.

A more likely result is that the government would sell its TARP stakes, possibly at auction, said B.T. Atkinson, a partner at corporate law firm Bryan Cave LLP, which represents community banks. Bryan Cave attorneys believe the Treasury could move forward as early as the third quarter, which, not coincidentally, overlaps with November's presidential election.

Charlotte-area bank executives said they are not overly concerned about that prospect. They maintain that seeing the government transfer its investment to a third party would not represent a major change.

"If they sell it, they're really selling an instrument," said Roger Dick, CEO of Uwharrie Capital Corp., which has $10 million in TARP remaining. "The instrument is already specified, whether the Treasury holds it, or an investor holds it."

But it would also transfer the rights to name directors to the bank's board after six missed dividend payments to the third-party buyer. Banks would also be freed from the restrictions on executive compensation that came with the TARP investment.

At a crossroads

Banks were already re-examining their future in TARP as the program nears a major inflection point. Beginning late in 2013, five years after the investments were made, the quarterly dividend payments will increase to 9 percent from 5 percent.

That alone will be a big driver of TARP repayments, said Rick Callicutt, president of Thomasville-based Bank of North Carolina. His bank still has $31 million from the program, and said paying it back is a priority in the next year.

While acknowledging the political advantages of ending TARP, he believes the Treasury is more likely to make its moves next year as the re-pricing point approaches. It will also provide an attractive rate of return for a firm buying those investments.

The Treasury does not have a timeline for making a decision, spokesman Matt Anderson said.

The Treasury has already restructured or altered a number of TARP investments around the country. Last year, for example, Asheboro-based FNB United was allowed to merge with Bank of Granite, with the government's stake converted to common stock at a 75 percent discount.

To read more, visit www.charlotteobserver.com.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

HOMEPAGE

The Charlotte Observer's database of banks receiving bailouts

March 18, 2009 07:26 AM

HOMEPAGE

Interactive map - TARP money state-by-state

March 18, 2009 07:25 AM

HOMEPAGE

In-depth coverage of the banking industry from The Charlotte Observer

February 11, 2009 07:49 AM

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

President Trump makes surprise visit to troops in Iraq

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Are Muslim-owned accounts being singled out by big banks ?
Video media Created with Sketch.

Policy

Are Muslim-owned accounts being singled out by big banks ?

By Kevin G. Hall and

Rob Wile

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 17, 2018 07:00 AM

Despite outcry several years ago, U.S. banks are back in the spotlight as more Muslim customers say they’ve had accounts frozen and/or closed with no explanation given. Is it discrimination or bank prudence?

KEEP READING

MORE ECONOMY

The lights are back on, but after $3.2B will Puerto Rico’s grid survive another storm?

National

The lights are back on, but after $3.2B will Puerto Rico’s grid survive another storm?

September 20, 2018 07:00 AM
Title-pawn shops ‘keep poor people poor.’ Who’s protecting Georgians from debt traps?

Investigations

Title-pawn shops ‘keep poor people poor.’ Who’s protecting Georgians from debt traps?

September 20, 2018 12:05 PM

Agriculture

Citrus disease could kill California industry if Congress slows research, growers warn

September 11, 2018 03:01 AM

Politics & Government

The GOP’s new attack: Democrats wants to ‘end’ Medicare

September 07, 2018 05:00 AM
KS congressman: Farmers are ‘such great patriots’ they’ll ride out Trump trade woes

Economy

KS congressman: Farmers are ‘such great patriots’ they’ll ride out Trump trade woes

August 30, 2018 02:17 PM
Democrats’ fall strategy: Stop talking Trump

Midterms

Democrats’ fall strategy: Stop talking Trump

August 24, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story