McClatchy DC Logo

Senate appears ready to drop Medicare expansion | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Economy

Senate appears ready to drop Medicare expansion

David Lightman - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 14, 2009 09:09 PM

WASHINGTON — Senate Democrats appeared ready Monday to drop a controversial plan to expand Medicare coverage to 55- to 64-year-olds, a proposal that's threatened to scuttle the massive health care bill that lawmakers hope to finish before Christmas.

Democrats emerged from a one-hour 45-minute private meeting Monday night and indicated that the Medicare proposal, which party leaders first floated last week as part of a tentative deal between moderates and liberals, could be gone.

"It's looking like that's the case," said Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus, D-Mont., though he added, "I can't guarantee it."

Other senators said that in order to get the 60 votes needed to cut off extended debate, it probably would be necessary to drop the Medicare provision. Democrats control 60 of the Senate's 100 seats, so a loss of even one member could doom the health care proposal, and several members have indicated that they're wary of the Medicare plan.

SIGN UP

That idea initially was discussed last week as a way of placating supporters of a government-run health care plan that would serve as an alternative to private coverage. That "public option" was unlikely to get 60 votes, so boosting Medicare, which insures people older than 65 and some others with disabilities, was seen as a middle ground.

While details were never fully revealed, it was thought that the Medicare expansion would be available to 55- to 64-year-olds who were uninsured or didn't get coverage through their employers.

The proposal ran into immediate trouble, however. Many Democrats questioned the cost, as well as the impact on Medicare, whose trust fund is projected to become insolvent in eight years.

Among the skeptics was Sen. Joe Lieberman, a Connecticut independent who caucuses with Democrats.

"It will add taxpayer costs. It will add to the deficit. It's unnecessary," he told CBS on Sunday.

On Monday, after the meeting, he said, however, "put me down tonight as encouraged at the direction these talks are going." Though he said he had no "explicit assurance," he saw reason for optimism.

While Senate leaders wouldn't discuss what's in or out of the bill, some indicated that they were ready to proceed without the Medicare plan.

"This bill, without public option, without Medicare buy-in, is a giant step forward toward transforming American health care," said Senate Health Committee Chairman Tom Harkin, D-Iowa. "There's enough good stuff in that bill that we should move ahead with it."

The bill would require most insurers to provide coverage, bar companies from refusing policies because of pre-existing conditions and expand eligibility for the Medicaid program, which provides coverage for lower-income people.

The Senate has been mired in a debate over the bill since Nov. 30, making little progress.

What's likely to get the bill moving is a report from the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, which is expected to assess potential costs of the legislation as soon as Tuesday.

If the CBO finds that the legislation would reduce federal budget deficits over the next 10 years_ considered a likely result _Senate leaders probably would begin taking the procedural steps that are likely to bring the bill to a final vote within the next few days.

ON THE WEB

Congressional Budget Office analysis of Senate Democrats' health-care bill

Text of Senate Democratic health-care bill

Congressional Budget Office analysis of House health bill

Sen. Lieberman's health-care statement

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Health-care bills would engender differences, keep age discrepancies

No easy answers on proposals to expand Medicare coverage

Senate Democrats reach tentative deal on public option

Health bills would raise taxes well before changes roll out

For more McClatchy politics coverage visit Planet Washington

Related stories from McClatchy DC

economy

Amid contentious health care issues, there's a lot lawmakers agree on

December 14, 2009 05:53 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

President Trump makes surprise visit to troops in Iraq

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Are Muslim-owned accounts being singled out by big banks ?
Video media Created with Sketch.

Policy

Are Muslim-owned accounts being singled out by big banks ?

By Kevin G. Hall and

Rob Wile

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 17, 2018 07:00 AM

Despite outcry several years ago, U.S. banks are back in the spotlight as more Muslim customers say they’ve had accounts frozen and/or closed with no explanation given. Is it discrimination or bank prudence?

KEEP READING

MORE ECONOMY

The lights are back on, but after $3.2B will Puerto Rico’s grid survive another storm?

National

The lights are back on, but after $3.2B will Puerto Rico’s grid survive another storm?

September 20, 2018 07:00 AM
Title-pawn shops ‘keep poor people poor.’ Who’s protecting Georgians from debt traps?

Investigations

Title-pawn shops ‘keep poor people poor.’ Who’s protecting Georgians from debt traps?

September 20, 2018 12:05 PM

Agriculture

Citrus disease could kill California industry if Congress slows research, growers warn

September 11, 2018 03:01 AM

Politics & Government

The GOP’s new attack: Democrats wants to ‘end’ Medicare

September 07, 2018 05:00 AM
KS congressman: Farmers are ‘such great patriots’ they’ll ride out Trump trade woes

Economy

KS congressman: Farmers are ‘such great patriots’ they’ll ride out Trump trade woes

August 30, 2018 02:17 PM
Democrats’ fall strategy: Stop talking Trump

Midterms

Democrats’ fall strategy: Stop talking Trump

August 24, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story