McClatchy DC Logo

Ike Memorial Gets Fine Arts OK | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National

Ike Memorial Gets Fine Arts OK

By Maria Recio - McClatchy Washington Bureau

    ORDER REPRINT →

October 16, 2014 06:44 PM

WASHINGTON The memorial honoring Dwight D. Eisenhower cleared another hurdle today as the U.S. Commission of Fine Arts approved the concept of the redesign made by architect Frank Gehry.

“We’re moving to a final approval,” said Thomas Luebke, secretary of the fine arts commission.

Earlier this month, the modified plan for the memorial was approved, on a preliminary basis, by another approving body, the National Capital Planning Commission. Gehry removed two metal tapestries that critics said blocked views of the U.S. Capitol and left two free-standing pillars.

“Several commissioners felt the concept was substantially improved,” said Luebke. The voice vote was unanimous.

SIGN UP

The back-to-back votes of confidence heartened the Eisenhower Memorial Commission, which has been under fire for the last few years for the controversial design and its spending. It announced that groundbreaking for the memorial on the National Mall honoring the Kansan who was the Supreme Allied Commander of World War II and the nation’s 34th president would be in 2015.

Skeptics scoffed at the date but the memorial’s supporters were ecstatic.

Gehry said in a statement, “Capturing the life and legacy of one of the greatest figures of the 20th century, has been a unique honor. I appreciate the approval given by the U.S. Commission of Fine Arts today.”

Eisenhower Memorial Commission Chairman, Rocco Siciliano said, “Part of Gehry’s brilliance is his ability to respond to the many stakeholders in this process while still maintaining the power and integrity of his design. This is our second approval in just a few weeks. It’s good to see the work that has gone into preparing the design for approvals now yielding positive results and moving the project forward. ”

Neither Gehry nor Siciliano attended the meeting.

But Justin Shubow, president of the National Civic Art Society, a fierce critic of the original and the revised designs, was there.

"The huge arrogant pillars do not befit President Eisenhower's modesty. They would make visitors feel like ants," he said afterwards.

As for any groundbreaking next year, Shubow said Congress had eliminated construction funding.

If the Eisenhower commission believes they can start building in 2015, he said, “they are in la-la land.”

  Comments  

Videos

Bishop Michael Curry leads prayer during funeral for George H.W. Bush

Barack Obama surprises Michelle at event for her new book ‘Becoming’

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

By Kate Irby

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

California Republican Party Chair Jim Brulte is sounding a warning on the GOP needing to appeal more to Asian and Latino Americans. California House Republicans don’t know how to do that.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM
Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM
House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM
Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

Congress

Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

December 20, 2018 02:59 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story