McClatchy DC Logo

Debate over Armenian museum will continue at appellate hearing | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National

Debate over Armenian museum will continue at appellate hearing

By Michael Doyle - McClatchy Washington Bureau

    ORDER REPRINT →

April 18, 2014 06:12 PM

The legal fight over a proposed Armenian Genocide Museum and Memorial has lasted nearly as long as the horrors the project is supposed to commemorate.

Soon, the bitter wrangling will reach a crucial crossroads.

On Monday, in a courthouse about 10 blocks from the run-down site of the proposed museum, three appellate judges will sort through the dispute, which has outlasted several of the key parties. The museum’s future might hang in the balance.

“There is no doubt we are committed to building the museum in Washington, D.C.,” Edele Hovnanian, the treasurer of the Armenian Assembly of America’s board of trustees, said Friday. “We are absolutely committed.”

SIGN UP

The case before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit is still called Armenian Genocide Museum and Memorial v. Gerard L. Cafesjian, though this has become a misnomer. Cafesjian, the businessman and philanthropist who won an earlier round, died last year in Naples, Fla., at the age of 88.

Another man once at the center of the dispute, former Cafesjian lieutenant John J. Waters Jr., was convicted last month in Minneapolis of 25 felony counts relating to embezzlement from Cafesjian. Waters is awaiting sentencing.

Years ago, Cafesjian, Waters and the Armenian Assembly of America leadership were allies. They wanted to build a center marking the period from 1915 to 1923, when by some estimates upward of 1.5 million Armenians died at the hands of the Ottoman Empire.

In downtown Washington, project supporters bought a four-story National Bank of Washington building in 2000. Cafesjian provided funding and bought adjacent properties, with a clause that the properties would revert to his control if the project wasn’t finished by Dec. 31, 2010.

Relations eventually collapsed and the first in a series of suits and countersuits was filed in 2007. In 2011, U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly ruled that the property belonged to Cafesjian’s foundation, of which Waters once served as vice president.

“The court sincerely hopes that after years of fighting legal battles, the parties can put aside their differences and accomplish the laudable goal of creating an Armenian genocide museum and memorial,” Kollar-Kotelly wrote in January 2011.

That hasn’t happened.

Instead, the fight that Kollar-Kotelly said “quickly escalated into an unfortunate exchange of accusations and allegations grounded in suspicion and mistrust” has ground ever onward. Though the museum has plans prepared and an online exhibit posted, the litigation has hindered efforts to raise the $100 million or so needed for construction and operations.

The Armenian Assembly of America has appealed its trial-court loss, contending in part that Kollar-Kotelly had previously undisclosed “ties” to the Cafesjian side. Kollar-Kotelly had contributed, as had Cafesjian, to the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s purchase of expensive modern glass art by an artist whom Cafesjian also sought for the Armenian genocide museum.

“If the assembly had known of the shared and beneficial interest between Judge Kollar-Kotelly and Cafesjian as investors in contemporary studio glass art, it would have moved for Judge Kollar-Kotelly’s disqualification,” attorneys for the Armenian Assembly of America declared in an appellate brief.

Attorneys for the Cafesjian Family Foundation didn’t address the judicial recusal question in their appellate brief, which focused on other parts of the dispute.

“I hope that the (appellate) decision will finally resolve the case,” the foundation’s attorney, John B. Williams, said Friday, while noting that “there is always the Supreme Court.”

The 30-minute oral argument Monday comes three days before the events that traditionally recognize the genocide. In this, Congress has likewise continued to struggle.

By a 12-5 vote, the Senate Foreign Relations Committee approved a resolution April 10 that’s intended to “remember and observe the anniversary of the Armenian genocide.” That may be the resolution’s high-water mark.

Vigorously opposed by the Turkish government, and historically viewed skeptically within the State Department and the Pentagon, this genocide resolution has an uncertain future. Senate rules will make it easy for a single lawmaker to block the measure.

Turkey questions the casualty count and denies there was a systematic effort to exterminate the Armenian people. Some American diplomats and military professionals fear antagonizing Turkey, a key NATO ally.

A like-minded resolution in the House of Representatives, authored by freshman Rep. David Valadao, R-Calif., and backed by 50 co-sponsors, hasn’t moved since it was introduced last year. Visiting Turkey this month, House Speaker John Boehner effectively called the measure dead.

“Don’t worry,” the Ohio Republican said, according to Turkish news accounts. “Our Congress will not get involved in this issue.”

In the meantime, lawmakers are participating in Armenian-American community events, with Valadao and Rep. Jim Costa, D-Calif., expected at a flag-raising ceremony Thursday at Fresno, Calif., City Hall and Rep. Adam Schiff, D-Calif., joining the annual march through the Los Angeles-area Little Armenia.

  Comments  

Videos

Bishop Michael Curry leads prayer during funeral for George H.W. Bush

Barack Obama surprises Michelle at event for her new book ‘Becoming’

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

By Kate Irby

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

California Republican Party Chair Jim Brulte is sounding a warning on the GOP needing to appeal more to Asian and Latino Americans. California House Republicans don’t know how to do that.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM
Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM
House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM
Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

Congress

Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

December 20, 2018 02:59 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story