On Oct. 1, Americans can begin enrolling for health coverage in 2014 through the new state insurance marketplaces. The Affordable Care Act takes effect three months later, in January. That’s when most people must have health insurance or face a fine for noncompliance. Most of the roughly 260 million Americans with job-based, individual or government coverage probably have nothing to worry about. But if you’re unsure — or among the nearly 49 million uninsured Americans — we’ve prepared a guide to bring you up to speed.
Other health care resources
- CuidadoDeSalud.gov (resource for Spanish speakers)
- Federal ACA information website for business owners
- "The YouToons get ready for Obamacare" video
- Kaiser Family Foundation subsidy calculator
- Department of Health and Human Services ACA hotline: 1-800-318-2596
- HHS hotline for hearing-impaired callers with TTY/TTD technology: 1-855-889-4325