McClatchy DC Logo

Intelligence office investigating reported surveillance of McClatchy journalist | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National

Intelligence office investigating reported surveillance of McClatchy journalist

By Trevor Graff - McClatchy Washington Bureau

    ORDER REPRINT →

August 01, 2013 07:24 PM

The McClatchy Co. asked the chief of the New Zealand Defense Force on Thursday if his country’s military, with the aid of U.S. intelligence agencies, collected cellular telephone data of a journalist working for the company in Afghanistan.

The request came in a letter regarding New Zealand journalist Jon Stephenson, who worked for McClatchy in Afghanistan between January and September 2010.

McClatchy sent a similar letter to National Intelligence Director James R. Clapper earlier in the week to clarify any U.S. agencies’ role in the case reported over the weekend by New Zealand newspapers. Clapper so far has said only that his agency is investigating.

“Director Clapper has reviewed the letter and directed his staff to immediately look into the issues raised,” said agency spokesman Shawn Turner “He looks forward to providing a response once we have been able to determine the facts.”

SIGN UP

Thursday’s letter sent to Maj. Gen. Tim Keating said the company considers the reported collection of data a “serious interference with McClatchy’s right to gather and report the news.”

The letter came from Anders Gyllenhaal, McClatchy’s vice president for news, and Karole Morgan-Prager, the company’s general counsel and vice president for corporate development.

They called reports of the metadata of phone calls -- information that can quickly paint a network of contacts of fellow journalists and sources -- “disturbing.”

The Sunday Star Times of Auckland reported last weekend that New Zealand’s military, part of the U.S.-led military coalition in Afghanistan, had sought the help of unidentified U.S. intelligence agencies to track cellphone calls made by Stephenson.

The newspaper also contended the New Zealand military obtained metadata from the cellular phones of the journalist’s “associates,” who were not identified. The report said that information was used to draw a “tree” of links between Stephenson and his contacts.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

McClatchy asks Obama administration if U.S. helped New Zealand collect data on journalist

July 30, 2013 07:40 PM

world

Report: New Zealand military collected data on phone calls of McClatchy contributor

July 29, 2013 12:49 AM

  Comments  

Videos

U.S. border officials fire tear gas at migrants in Tijuana

Bishop Michael Curry leads prayer during funeral for George H.W. Bush

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Nobody knows exactly how many assault rifles exist in the U.S. – by design

February 23, 2018 06:21 PM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Read Next

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

White House

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

By Stuart Leavenworth

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 04, 2019 03:45 PM

The Trump administration has delayed release of $16 billion in disaster mitigation funds, prompting complaints from Puerto Rico and Texas, which are worried about the approaching hurricane season.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

Congress

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Congress

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM
Perry Deane Young, NC-born Vietnam War correspondent and author, has died

National

Perry Deane Young, NC-born Vietnam War correspondent and author, has died

January 03, 2019 01:48 PM
Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

Congress

Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

January 03, 2019 04:31 PM
Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

Congress

Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

January 03, 2019 03:22 PM
Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

Congress

Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

January 03, 2019 12:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story