McClatchy DC Logo

Mississippi’s broadband safety network runs into interruptions | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National

Mississippi’s broadband safety network runs into interruptions

By Greg Gordon - McClatchy Washington Bureau

    ORDER REPRINT →

July 21, 2013 12:00 AM

Mississippi’s attempt to become the first state to build a high-tech, potentially life-saving broadband network that can beam videos and data to police, firefighters and medical teams during emergencies has come to a halt, stalled by bureaucratic and financial hurdles.

With little notice, the state’s Wireless Communications Commission voted last week to freeze construction on the $56 million project, already nearly 80 percent complete, because of an impasse with the federal government and a state budget shortfall.

Police chiefs across the state are beginning to mobilize a grassroots campaign to lobby legislators to try to save it, and firefighters are likely to join.

“We’re still trying to see what we can do to salvage this,” said Vicki Helfrich, the wireless commission’s executive officer.

SIGN UP

The broadband predicament comes as the wireless commission has warned that the Mississippi Legislature has appropriated only enough funds to operate a separate new state public safety radio network until next January.

The problems surrounding the broadband network are more complicated.

Then-Gov. Haley Barbour ballyhooed the new system in 2011 as a technology leap that “can save lives” by speeding data and video delivery to 90 hospitals, 340 ambulances and up to 9,900 Mississippi public safety workers. Federal grant money for the state broadband project and six others across the country, however, was awarded before the creation last year of a new federal board overseen by the Commerce Department assigned to develop a nationwide broadband network.

The new First Responder Network Authority, known as FirstNet, faces the task of doling out $7 billion for a system connecting virtually every public safety agency in the country, from those in tiny towns to metropolises, and to allot each region space on the federally controlled wireless spectrum.

Shortly after its creation, the board suspended funding for all seven jurisdictions, including Mississippi, which had gotten public safety grants from the Commerce Department’s National Telecommunications and Information Agency until each negotiated a lease for spectrum space.

Terms of the proposed leases have been described as sticky, involving tangled issues over state versus federal control over the spectrum. Despite two extensions of the negotiations deadline, the latest expired July 12, with only a Los Angeles regional body having reached a lease agreement with FirstNet.

“Negotiations are still ongoing,” Helfrich said. “We cannot operate the system without spectrum.”

A FirstNet official, who lacked authorization to speak for the record, said that the board is expected to extend the negotiations deadline into August.

Meanwhile, the Mississippi state wireless commission is faced with a big shortfall in its operating budget. The state legislature allotted only $6 million of the $14.6 million that the commission requested for fiscal 2014. Helfrich said the funds appropriated are all dedicated to the land mobile radio network that ties together 22 state, nine federal and several hundred local public safety agencies, and that’s still at least $4 million short of what’s needed for the year.

As it stands now, she said, none of the $4.6 million needed to operate the new broadband network is available.

Including a grant for a Mississippi health system for delivering high-speed medical data to help emergency responders make faster diagnoses of injury victims, the total federal grant to the state exceeded $70 million, with Mississippi putting up $13.3 million in matching funds.

Helfrich said that $45 million overall has been obligated so far for the broadband system whose future is in limbo.

The microwave-based broadband network is being built by Motorola Solutions, Inc., using many of the towers that Motorola installed in also building the land-mobile radio network.

A spokesman for Gov. Phil Bryant had no immediate comment.

Leaders of the police and fire chiefs associations aren’t waiting for direction.

Scott Berry, president of the Mississippi Association of Fire Chiefs, said he would raise the issue at an upcoming board meeting.

“We will just have to speak with our legislators and see if we can help push this through,” he said.

“Are we going to be beating the drum?” asked Ken Winter, executive director of the Mississippi Association of Police Chiefs. “Absolutely. What we’re hearing from the legislature (is) that they think the locals need to invest more in it. The bottom line: small towns and cities across the state simply do not have the resources to invest in the front end like that.”

Besides, he said he tells legislators, “This is the state of Mississippi. The money you’re deciding where it goes, where do you think it comes from? It comes from cities and towns across the state.”

  Comments  

Videos

Bishop Michael Curry leads prayer during funeral for George H.W. Bush

Barack Obama surprises Michelle at event for her new book ‘Becoming’

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Read Next

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

By Kate Irby

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

California Republican Party Chair Jim Brulte is sounding a warning on the GOP needing to appeal more to Asian and Latino Americans. California House Republicans don’t know how to do that.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM
Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM
House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM
Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

Congress

Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

December 20, 2018 02:59 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story