McClatchy DC Logo

Fear of new gun restrictions sparks sales in North Carolina | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National

Fear of new gun restrictions sparks sales in North Carolina

Matt Caulder - The News & Observer (Raleigh, N.C.)

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 19, 2012 07:12 AM

Fearing new firearms restrictions in the wake of last week’s Connecticut school shooting, customers are flocking to Triangle gun sellers this week.

Semiautomatic rifles, such as the AR-15 and its magazines, seem to be the must-have items.

“If the assault weapons ban comes into effect, they’ll be hard to find,” said Mike Humphrey, who was shopping Tuesday at Sovereign Guns in Fuquay-Varina. “The world’s getting real messy now, so I’d rather have something when I don’t need it than not have it when I do.”

Sovereign Guns was the second gun dealer Humphrey had visited Tuesday. He was buying 33-round magazines for his handgun. He also picked up about 25 30-round magazines for his grandfather’s AR-15 rifle. Though a 30-round magazine is standard for the AR-15, some fear new regulations could restrict that.

SIGN UP

In Friday’s shooting in Newtown, Conn., shooter Adam Lanza used a semiautomatic Bushmaster AR-15 in .223 caliber.

At Springhill Outfitters in Smithfield, more AR-15s were sold in one day Monday – about 20 – than the store usually sells in a year, said general manager Trent Lassiter.

“We are mainly a hunting store; we aren’t a tactical store,” Lassiter said.

“We keep a few of them out here,” he added, pointing to a rack that had just seven AR-15s left. “Now that’s all we have.”

Within minutes, one of those seven was spoken for.

Barry Perry, owner of Perry’s Gun Shop in Wendell, reported a similar sales spike Monday.

One shopper at Springhill bought three rifles and three handguns, Lassiter said. Another bought two AR-15s for his sons to have when they turn 18. Lassiter said the customer was afraid the guns might not still be available if he waited.

“I think this is all fear of the unknown,” Lassiter said. “They talk about outlawing high-capacity magazines, and people get scared.”

Ammo rationing

Ammunition for AR-15-type rifles has been in such short supply that Springhill Outfitters even began rationing how much some customers could buy.

“We want to have ammunition for the gun if we sell it to somebody,” Lassiter said.

A few national retailers have suspended some firearms sales.

Dick’s Sporting Goods released a statement Tuesday expressing sympathy to the Newtown community and saying that the chain was halting gun sales in its locations closest to Newtown. Dick’s also said it was suspending the sale of “modern sporting rifles” in its locations nationwide.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. has pulled all of its Bushmaster rifles off the racks.

‘Beating down my door’

Clayton Guns is closed on Mondays. That meant the store was especially busy Tuesday, owner Rob Maungyoo said.

“They have been beating down my door to get the ARs,” Maungyoo said. “The phone has been non-stop. It’s crazy.”

He also said he has noticed an unexpected trend: people selling their AR-15s because they fear that the guns may be banned and they will lose money invested in them.

“They are turning them in – and people are buying them just as fast,” Maungyoo said.

  Comments  

Videos

Bishop Michael Curry leads prayer during funeral for George H.W. Bush

Barack Obama surprises Michelle at event for her new book ‘Becoming’

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Joel Pett’s 2018 editorial cartoons

December 30, 2018 06:30 AM

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Read Next

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM
Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM
House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM
Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story