McClatchy DC Logo

Damaged North Slope oil well to be plugged, abandoned by Repsol | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National

Damaged North Slope oil well to be plugged, abandoned by Repsol

Richard Mauer - The Anchorage Daily News

    ORDER REPRINT →

March 14, 2012 06:16 AM

The Spanish oil company Repsol has decided to plug and abandon its Qugruk Number 2 well a month after it was damaged in a shallow gas blowout.

Repsol's decision to give up on the well and cap it with cement was the right choice, said Cathy Foerster and Dan Seamount, two commissioners on the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission.

"The best thing they could do is abandon that hole," said Seamount, a geologist.

In a situation report issued Tuesday afternoon, the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation said attempts to control the well by pumping heavy mud into it were stymied by rock obstructions between the drill pipe and the formation it passes through.

SIGN UP

To be effective at lubricating the drill, bringing cuttings to the surface and containing pressure in the well, the mud must circulate down and up the hole. The rock bridges prevented circulation, the DEC said.

The blowout occurred Feb. 15, when Repsol's exploratory drill rig, on the Colville River delta about 18 miles northeast of Nuiqsut, hit an unexpected pocket of pressurized gas while boring 2,523 feet below the surface. About 42,000 gallons of drilling mud shot out of the hole and through a diverter about 75 feet from the rig, contracted from Nabors Drilling. With the mud came natural gas.

To avoid the risk of fire, the rig was shut down and quickly froze in sub-zero temperatures. Gas flowed out of the hole until about 9 p.m. on Feb. 16, when it stopped on its own. Even though nothing more leaked, the well hasn't been considered under control.

Some of the spilled mud, a clay mixture, was cleaned up while workers struggled for days to thaw the rig, but full cleanup can't begin until the well is formally declared under control, the DEC said.

Repsol, a relatively new player on the North Slope, is seeking approval from the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission for the final capping plan. While the commission hasn't ruled yet, Foerster, an engineer, said in an email that "abandoning the well is the best next move."

Repsol is drilling another exploration well, the Kachemach 1, about 40 miles southwest of the Kuparuk base camp. The company suspended drilling after the Qugruk blowout, but resumed March 8.

The AOGCC suspended other permits previously issued for the company.

"We wanted to re-look at it and make sure there wasn't anything they were missing," said Seamount, of the AOGCC. "We wanted more detail in their plans."

Repsol spokeswoman Jan Sieving said in an email that the company was resubmitting permits for Qugruk 1 and Qugruk 4.

"If approved, we will look at drilling them this year," though the short drilling season may force a postponement till next winter, she said.

To read more, visit www.adn.com.

  Comments  

Videos

Bishop Michael Curry leads prayer during funeral for George H.W. Bush

Barack Obama surprises Michelle at event for her new book ‘Becoming’

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

By Kate Irby

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

California Republican Party Chair Jim Brulte is sounding a warning on the GOP needing to appeal more to Asian and Latino Americans. California House Republicans don’t know how to do that.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM
Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM
House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM
Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

Congress

Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

December 20, 2018 02:59 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story