McClatchy DC Logo

2.5 million young adults have added health coverage, U.S. says | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National

2.5 million young adults have added health coverage, U.S. says

Christian Torres - Kaiser Health News

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 14, 2011 07:02 PM

WASHINGTON — An estimated 2.5 million young adults have gained health insurance coverage since the 2010 health care law took effect, according to a new government survey — a finding the Obama administration is embracing as it continues efforts to communicate the health's law's benefits, even as the public's opinion about the law remains mixed.

The number is "even higher than many predicted," said Kathleen Sebelius, the health and human services secretary, in an announcement Wednesday. An earlier federal analysis had projected an increase between 700,000 and 2.1 million.

"This shows that the need (for coverage) was really great," said Sherry Glied, HHS assistant secretary for planning and evaluation. "We're glad to see people are responding."

HHS previously estimated that nearly 1 million adults had gained coverage through March 2011. The 2.5 million reflects those who became insured through June 2011, and it focuses on the change since September 2010, rather than using data from 2010 as a whole. The health law provision requiring insurers to allow parents to keep dependents as old as age 26 on their family policies kicked in on Sept. 23, 2010.

SIGN UP

Officials based their number on U.S. Census data and the results of the latest National Health Interview Survey. In September 2010, the survey found 64.4 percent of adults between 19 and 25 were insured. By March, the rate was up to 69.6 percent, and in June it was at 72.7 percent. That month, the uninsured rate for this population reached its lowest point in more than a decade, down to 28.8 percent.

Federal officials also said the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data clarify the link between the health law's under-26 provision and the coverage expansion. For the first time, they compared the coverage rates for ages 19-25 with ages 26-35. The latter remained stable between September 2010 and June 2011, and has now replaced their younger counterparts as the age group most likely to be uninsured.

"This comparison makes it clear that the increase in coverage among 19- to 25-year-olds can be directly attributed to the Affordable Care Act's new dependent-coverage provision," notes the HHS report.

Most of the newly covered 19- to 25-year-olds are going into private plans, likely their parents' employer-sponsored insurance. According to the CDC data, 55.8 percent are now covered by a private plan, compared with 51.0 percent in 2010. Public health plan coverage, including Medicaid, remained stable.

(Kaiser Health News is an editorially independent news service of the Kaiser Family Foundation, a nonpartisan health care policy organization that isn't affiliated with Kaiser Permanente.)

MORE FROM KAISER HEALTH NEWS

Coverage of the nation's health-care debate

Kaiser Family Foundation on Twitter

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Kaiser Health News on McClatchy

Is health care law really a 'job killer'? Experts doubt it

  Comments  

Videos

U.S. border officials fire tear gas at migrants in Tijuana

Bishop Michael Curry leads prayer during funeral for George H.W. Bush

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Who will replace Roberts? Kansas senator’s retirement could spur wild 2020 race

January 04, 2019 04:12 PM

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Read Next

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

White House

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

By Stuart Leavenworth

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 04, 2019 03:45 PM

The Trump administration has delayed release of $16 billion in disaster mitigation funds, prompting complaints from Puerto Rico and Texas, which are worried about the approaching hurricane season.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

Congress

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Congress

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM
Perry Deane Young, NC-born Vietnam War correspondent and author, has died

National

Perry Deane Young, NC-born Vietnam War correspondent and author, has died

January 03, 2019 01:48 PM
Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

Congress

Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

January 03, 2019 04:31 PM
Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

Congress

Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

January 03, 2019 03:22 PM
Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

Congress

Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

January 03, 2019 12:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story