McClatchy DC Logo

Feds to pay $2.5 million in '01 anthrax attacks, admit no blame | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National

Feds to pay $2.5 million in '01 anthrax attacks, admit no blame

Greg Gordon, Stephen Engelberg and Mike Wiser - McClatchy Newspapers, ProPublica and PBS' Frontline

    ORDER REPRINT →

November 29, 2011 06:54 PM

WASHINGTON — While denying negligence by one of its premier bio-weapons labs, the government has agreed to pay $2.5 million to settle a wrongful death suit filed by survivors of the first fatality victim of the 2001 anthrax mail attacks, court papers revealed Tuesday.

The money will go to the widow and children of Robert Stevens, a Florida-based photo editor for the National Enquirer and other tabloids, who was the first of five people to die after inhaling the tiny spores.

The settlement ended a secrecy-shrouded, eight-year court fight shortly before U.S. District Judge Daniel Hurley of West Palm Beach, Fla., was due either to grant a Justice Department motion to dismiss the suit or send the case to trial. By settling, the government protected a sizable cache of documents about its secretive biological-weapons program from public scrutiny.

At issue was whether a leading Army bio-weapons laboratory in Frederick, Md., was negligent in failing to adequately secure its anthrax stocks, possibly enabling a mentally troubled researcher at the lab to carry out the attacks.

SIGN UP

Bruce Ivins, the researcher whom the FBI fingered as the anthrax mailer shortly after his 2008 suicide, studied anthrax for more than a quarter of a century at the lab, the Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases at Fort Detrick. While the FBI never turned up hard proof that Ivins carried out the killings, the bureau amassed a circumstantial case against him.

Regardless of whether Ivins was the perpetrator, sophisticated genetic tests showed that a flask of anthrax under his control contained the same genetic markers as those in the deadly spores found in the letters, suggesting that Ivins' anthrax may have been the parent material. As many as 219 people had access to spores distributed from Ivins' flask, government documents have said.

The suit was the only one to progress so far on behalf of any of the 22 people sickened by as many as seven anthrax letters mailed to media outlets in New York and Florida and to the Washington offices of two U.S. senators.

At least a dozen attorneys from the Justice Department's Civil Division aided in defending the suit. They caused a major embarrassment last summer when they said in a court filing that Ivins lacked the specialized equipment in his containment laboratory that was needed to produce the anthrax used in the attacks. Chastened by the FBI and the department's Criminal Division, they soon filed 10 corrections withdrawing their assertions.

Lawyers for Maureen Stevens and her children vacillated during the case on whether to accept that Ivins was the killer. They ultimately contended that the government shouldn't have permitted him to work with a deadly pathogen such as anthrax after learning that he was receiving treatment for mental health problems.

In any event, they argued, security at the lab was so lax that a tiny amount of anthrax could have been whisked from the facility in any number of ways and used to grow the trillions of spores used in the mailings.

The government countered that under the Federal Tort Claims Act, taxpayers aren't liable for unpredictable violent behavior by a federal employee.

In a stipulation laying out the settlement terms, the parties agreed that the compromise "shall not constitute nor be construed as an admission of liability or fault on the part of the United States, its officers, agents, servants, contractors, employees or representatives, and it is specifically denied that they are liable."

The settlement was reached solely for the purpose of "avoiding the expenses and risks of further litigations," it said.

Lawyers for Stevens' family, who are limited to $625,000 in legal fees, are required under terms of the settlement to return all protected documents to the government promptly.

Stevens was a photo editor in the Boca Raton, Fla., offices of American Media Inc., the publisher of the National Enquirer and other tabloids. He died on Oct. 5, 2005, a couple of days after taking ill. While no anthrax-filled letter was found at American Media, laboratory analysis of Stevens' spinal fluid indicated that he'd inhaled the same strain of anthrax found in four recovered letters.

Lawyers for both sides declined immediate to comment on the settlement.

(McClatchy collaborated with the investigative newsroom ProPublica and PBS's "Frontline" to produce this story. Earlier the group published and aired an joint investigation of the FBI's anthrax inquiry. Gordon works for McClatchy. Engelberg works for ProPublica and Wiser is with "Frontline.")

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

McClatchy's 'The Anthrax Files'

Experts: Justice Department waffling in anthrax case could be costly

Secret reports: With security spotty, many had access to anthrax

FBI's case against anthrax suspect rife with questions

Newly released files cloud FBI's anthrax finding

Related stories from McClatchy DC

HOMEPAGE

More coverage of the 'anthrax killer' case

October 10, 2011 06:21 PM

  Comments  

Videos

U.S. border officials fire tear gas at migrants in Tijuana

Bishop Michael Curry leads prayer during funeral for George H.W. Bush

View More Video

Trending Stories

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Racist? Immoral? The shutdown fight becomes a rhetorical war

January 07, 2019 05:21 PM

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM

Some lawmakers giving away or withholding pay during shutdown

October 02, 2013 06:18 PM

Read Next

Racist? Immoral? The shutdown fight becomes a rhetorical war

Congress

Racist? Immoral? The shutdown fight becomes a rhetorical war

By Emma Dumain

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 07, 2019 05:21 PM

Sen. Lindsey Graham declared there would be no deal to end the government shutdown until Democrats stopped calling Republicans “racists” — the latest example of incendiary rhetoric in both parties.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

New USS Cole case judge quitting military to join immigration court

Guantanamo

New USS Cole case judge quitting military to join immigration court

January 07, 2019 12:20 PM

National

War Within Initiative raises money to help erase military medical debt

January 07, 2019 04:10 PM

Congress

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM
Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

Congress

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM
HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

White House

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

January 04, 2019 03:45 PM
Perry Deane Young, NC-born Vietnam War correspondent and author, has died

National

Perry Deane Young, NC-born Vietnam War correspondent and author, has died

January 03, 2019 01:48 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story