McClatchy DC Logo

31 Occupy Sacramento court cases dropped by prosecutors | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National

31 Occupy Sacramento court cases dropped by prosecutors

Andy Furillo - The Sacramento Bee

    ORDER REPRINT →

November 17, 2011 06:52 AM

Prosecutors on Wednesday dumped 31 cases involving protesters arrested for violating city curfew law in the Occupy Sacramento demonstrations, but left nine on the books to handle people such as Cathy Grahnert, who was taken into custody on multiple occasions.

Grahnert, 57, recently laid off from a legal clinic that served low-income clients, said it was her revulsion over home foreclosures that drew her to Cesar Chavez Plaza as part of the national protest against income disparities and other issues.

"I believe in this cause," Grahnert said in the hallways of Sacramento Superior Court, after learning that her case was one of the nine slated to continue. "I've been mad for three years about foreclosures. I'm happy something is finally being done and people are speaking out."

Twice last month, Grahnert refused to leave the park when Sacramento police cleared it of protesters who stayed past the 11 p.m. curfew. Attorneys for the protesters sought in U.S. District Court in Sacramento to have the curfew law declared unconstitutional but have so far failed in the effort.

SIGN UP

Supervising Deputy City Attorney Gustavo Martinez said his agency is confident the law will be upheld as the case proceeds in federal court. The ordinance's "reasonable time, place and manner" distinction "does not discriminate based on speech," Martinez said.

As for the remaining cases, and any others that might arise out of the more than 80 arrested protesters, Martinez said "we're hopeful" they can be resolved before trial. He said the "potential worst-case scenario" for anybody convicted at trial would be six months in jail and a $1,000 fine.

Martinez said it is "not the demand" from the city for the judges to throw the book at the offender/protesters, but that the ultimate call will rest with the court.

"If the cases go to trial, the judge may wind up sentencing the defendants to jail time," Martinez said.

For her part, Cathy Grahnert on Wednesday still expressed more concern about banks not working with foreclosed homeowners than she did about the possibility of winding up behind bars herself.

"(Homeowners) weren't getting modifications," she said. "The banks just weren't responding to them. They were just foreclosing, even if they missed some payments but could pay." Grahnert also denounced "all the fraud on Wall Street that caused it."

A city press release said the 31 curfew cases were dismissed in the interest of justice. Each of the 31, the statement said, had already spent a day in jail, which "achieved the People of the State of California's demand for substantial justice."

Karen Bernal, a temporarily unemployed labor organizer, was one of the 31 cut loose Wednesday morning. She said that in dismissing the case against her, the City Attorney's Office "conceded" on the issue of her free speech rights.

"I'm happy, but I can't help but think what a waste of money it's been," Bernal said.

To read more, visit www.sacbee.com.

  Comments  

Videos

U.S. border officials fire tear gas at migrants in Tijuana

Bishop Michael Curry leads prayer during funeral for George H.W. Bush

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

These tattoos aren't artful—they help identify Iraq's dead

October 31, 2006 03:00 AM

Read Next

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

White House

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

By Stuart Leavenworth

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 04, 2019 03:45 PM

The Trump administration has delayed release of $16 billion in disaster mitigation funds, prompting complaints from Puerto Rico and Texas, which are worried about the approaching hurricane season.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

Congress

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Congress

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM
Perry Deane Young, NC-born Vietnam War correspondent and author, has died

National

Perry Deane Young, NC-born Vietnam War correspondent and author, has died

January 03, 2019 01:48 PM
Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

Congress

Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

January 03, 2019 04:31 PM
Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

Congress

Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

January 03, 2019 03:22 PM
Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

Congress

Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

January 03, 2019 12:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story