McClatchy DC Logo

Occupy Sacramento leaders sue city over First Amendment issues | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National

Occupy Sacramento leaders sue city over First Amendment issues

Ed Fletcher - The Sacramento Bee

    ORDER REPRINT →

November 02, 2011 06:50 AM

After nearly a month of tense standoffs in Sacramento's Cesar Chavez Plaza, Occupy Sacramento activists — seeking to thwart the city's insistence on clearing the park nightly — moved the battle to another venue: the federal courts.

A trio of lawyers — arguing the protesters' First Amendment rights to freedom of speech and assembly are being violated — filed suit Tuesday against the city of Sacramento, the city manager and the city's parks director on behalf of 34 named plaintiffs, including activist Cindy Sheehan.

Local activists, emulating protesters across the country, have sought to "occupy" the park around the clock. Unlike what's happened at most of the protests patterned after the Occupy Wall Street movement, the Sacramento Police Department has cleared the park nightly – arresting those who don't comply.

To date 83 people have been arrested for failing to leave the park at 11 p.m. on weeknights or midnight on Friday and Saturday.

SIGN UP

By giving the city parks director and chief of police authority to extend the hours of the park, the city has created an unworkable ordinance that allows city leaders to create "favored and disfavored speech," said attorney Mark Merin, one of three attorneys behind the lawsuit.

"How do we know they are not suppressing some speech?" Merin asked, addressing reporters Tuesday outside Sacramento's federal courthouse.

The plaintiffs also seek a temporary retraining order and a preliminary injunction to stop the arrests.

City officials declined to comment about the lawsuit. They have previously maintained that the park curfew falls within the city's legal right to limit gatherings, political or otherwise.

An aide to Mayor Kevin Johnson said he was traveling and not available for comment.

Legal scholars say the case may hinge on whether Occupy Sacramento participants can prove that they are being singled out.

To read the complete article, visit www.sacbee.com.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

national

Volunteer attorneys steer Occupy protesters through the legal system

October 30, 2011 01:48 PM

  Comments  

Videos

U.S. border officials fire tear gas at migrants in Tijuana

Bishop Michael Curry leads prayer during funeral for George H.W. Bush

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM

Read Next

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

White House

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

By Stuart Leavenworth

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 04, 2019 03:45 PM

The Trump administration has delayed release of $16 billion in disaster mitigation funds, prompting complaints from Puerto Rico and Texas, which are worried about the approaching hurricane season.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

Congress

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Congress

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM
Perry Deane Young, NC-born Vietnam War correspondent and author, has died

National

Perry Deane Young, NC-born Vietnam War correspondent and author, has died

January 03, 2019 01:48 PM
Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

Congress

Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

January 03, 2019 04:31 PM
Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

Congress

Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

January 03, 2019 03:22 PM
Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

Congress

Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

January 03, 2019 12:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story