McClatchy DC Logo

Obama to block new uranium-mine claims near Grand Canyon | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National

Obama to block new uranium-mine claims near Grand Canyon

Renee Schoof - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

October 26, 2011 05:46 PM

WASHINGTON — New uranium mining claims on 1 million acres around the Grand Canyon will be blocked for 20 years under a decision the Bureau of Land Management announced Wednesday.

The announcement confirmed that the Obama administration was proceeding with a plan that Interior Secretary Ken Salazar announced in July and is expected to make final in 30 days. The decision withdraws a right to Western public lands that mining companies otherwise would have under the 1872 Mining Law

Sen. John McCain of Arizona and other Republican lawmakers proposed legislation earlier this month that would prevent the administration from proceeding with the withdrawal. They said then that there was no evidence that uranium mining would harm the Grand Canyon watershed, and that banning new claims would cost hundreds of jobs.

BLM director Bob Abbey said Wednesday that banning new mining claims was necessary to give time to better understand the environmental impacts of uranium mining in the area.

SIGN UP

""The Grand Canyon is an iconic place for all Americans and visitors from around the world," Abbey said in a statement. "Uranium remains an important part of our nation's comprehensive energy resources, but it is appropriate to pause, identify what the predicted level of mining and its impacts on the Grand Canyon would be, and decide what level of risk is acceptable to take with this national treasure."

The decision prevents only new mining claims. Mines that already have been approved would continue to operate, and new mines could be approved on claims that already exist.

The nation's 139-year-old mining law gives companies automatic access to most public land in the West and allows them to mine for uranium, gold and other minerals without paying royalties.

"We encourage the Obama administration to work with Congress now to reform the 1872 Mining Law so that other national treasures are also protected," said Jane Danowitz, U.S. public lands director for the Pew Environment Group.

Also on Wednesday, Rep. Raul Grijalva, D-Ariz., sent letters to 14 oil, gas, coal and hard-rock mining companies asking for information by Dec. 15 about their profits from activities on federally leased lands and for the amounts of any royalties and fees they paid.

Grijalva and Sen. Tom Udall, D-N.M., earlier asked the Government Accountability Office to study the profits and royalty returns from companies that use federal property. The study is expected to be finished next summer.

Grijalva spokesman Adam Sarvana said the information-gathering was the first step toward figuring out how high the royalties should be set.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

As decision on Grand Canyon mining nears, sides line up

GOP White House candidates' Yucca stance roils other Republican leaders

Perry, struggling in campaign, unveils economic program

Check out McClatchy's politics blog: Planet Washington

  Comments  

Videos

U.S. border officials fire tear gas at migrants in Tijuana

Bishop Michael Curry leads prayer during funeral for George H.W. Bush

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Your DNA kit begins a ‘journey of discovery’ – but are results in safe hands?

December 04, 2017 05:00 AM

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM

Read Next

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

White House

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

By Stuart Leavenworth

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 04, 2019 03:45 PM

The Trump administration has delayed release of $16 billion in disaster mitigation funds, prompting complaints from Puerto Rico and Texas, which are worried about the approaching hurricane season.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

Congress

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Congress

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM
Perry Deane Young, NC-born Vietnam War correspondent and author, has died

National

Perry Deane Young, NC-born Vietnam War correspondent and author, has died

January 03, 2019 01:48 PM
Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

Congress

Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

January 03, 2019 04:31 PM
Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

Congress

Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

January 03, 2019 03:22 PM
Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

Congress

Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

January 03, 2019 12:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story