McClatchy DC Logo

Irene appears to have left South Carolina relatively unscathed | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National

Irene appears to have left South Carolina relatively unscathed

Mindy Lucas - The State

    ORDER REPRINT →

August 27, 2011 12:21 PM

COLUMBIA, S.C. — South Carolinians can breathe a collective sigh of relief today as Hurricane Irene appears to have left the Palmetto State relatively unscathed.

The storm, which made landfall in Nags Head, N.C., shortly after 7:30 a.m. as a Category 1 hurricane, weakened overnight but not before whipping the coast of South Carolina with winds of up to 40-55 mph.

The winds caused power outages and downed trees throughout Charleston, Georgetown and Horry counties as it skirted the coast Friday, leaving many without power. But by mid-morning today, most of outages in the Lowcountry had been restored.

As of 10 a.m., only 17 Santee Cooper customers were without power, mostly in the Berkley and Georgetown County areas. About 20 South Carolina Electric & Gas customers were without power.

SIGN UP

The majority of the power outages continue to be for the Horry County area. As of 10 a.m., about 10,000 Horry Electric customers were without power, and crews were contending with about 1,256 outages.

State and local emergency management officials also reported downed trees and other road debris, but no significant damage or injuries. In Horry County, spokeswoman Lisa Bourcier said a final assessment has revealed “no significant damage” to the area’s beaches, roads or structures.

Derrec Becker, a spokesman for the S.C. Emergency Management Division, said overall there was minor damage throughout Georgetown and Horry counties. “Most of the county emergency management divisions are going to normal operations today,” Becker said.

And while the worst is over for South Carolina residents, residents living along the Outer Banks of North Carolina continue to watch with great concern as the first hurricane of the season continues its trek along the Eastern Seaboard today.

Becker said the state’s emergency management division would remain at an elevated level while waiting to see what happened in North Carolina. In addition, many of the state’s utility companies, which have mutual aid agreements with North Carolina utility companies, are waiting to see how North Carolina fares.

Relief organizations such as the American Red Cross also are on standby. Anna Kate Christophillis with the organization’s Columbia region said the Red Cross would hold a national call this morning with all of its regions. The Columbia region is sending six disaster relief volunteers to North Carolina.

“Once the storm has passed, we can assess the damage. At that point, our national organization will create a disaster response operation, and that’s when all of our resources will be mobilized,” she said.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

HOMEPAGE

Hurricane heads up the East Coast

August 27, 2011 07:21 PM

HOMEPAGE

Hurricane Irene lashes North Carolina coast

August 27, 2011 12:11 PM

HOMEPAGE

Preparing for the storm

August 27, 2011 12:26 PM

HOMEPAGE

Remembering 1989: Hugo hits Carolinas

August 27, 2011 12:49 PM

HOMEPAGE

Map of Hurricane Irene's progress

August 27, 2011 12:35 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Bishop Michael Curry leads prayer during funeral for George H.W. Bush

Barack Obama surprises Michelle at event for her new book ‘Becoming’

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

By Kate Irby

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

California Republican Party Chair Jim Brulte is sounding a warning on the GOP needing to appeal more to Asian and Latino Americans. California House Republicans don’t know how to do that.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM
Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM
House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM
Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

Congress

Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

December 20, 2018 02:59 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story