McClatchy DC Logo

Paul, McConnell question Obama strategy on alleged terrorists | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National

Paul, McConnell question Obama strategy on alleged terrorists

Halimah Abdullah - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

July 13, 2011 06:59 PM

WASHINGTON — Sen. Rand Paul pressed Homeland Security officials during a hearing Wednesday on how suspected terrorists have been able to slip through the nation's security net and get into the United States.

Paul was especially concerned about how, despite fingerprints linking one of them to a roadside bomb, two Iraqi nationals were able to able to get into the United States and live for several years in Bowling Green, Ky.

"It's like finding a needle in a haystack," Paul said. "You gotta make the haystack smaller."

In many ways, Paul's concerns echo the broader national security concerns of Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, a strident and vocal critic of the administration's stymied efforts to close the Guantanamo Bay prison. The two Kentucky Republicans are turning up the political heat on a broader and more thorny issue for the White House: how the administration deals with suspected terrorists.

SIGN UP

Department of Homeland Security officials acknowledged Wednesday that the Bowling Green case highlighted gaps in the screening process that have since been corrected.

The Senate hearing came on the heels of McConnell's heated back-and-forth with U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder over plans to keep the two accused terrorists in the United States to stand trial in federal court.

Waad Ramadan Alwan, 30, and Mohanad Shareef Hammadi, 23, were arrested in May on charges of plotting to send arms to their home country to be used against U.S. troops.

They pleaded not guilty and could face life in prison if convicted in federal court. Sending the two men to Guantanamo is the only way to be certain there won't be retaliatory attacks, McConnell said.

On Sunday, McConnell critiqued the Obama administration's policies when he used the not-guilty verdict in the Caylee Anthony case as an example of problems with the civilian court system.

"These are not American citizens," McConnell said on Fox News Sunday of accused terrorists. "We just found with the Caylee Anthony case how difficult it is to get a conviction in a U.S. court.

"I don't think a foreigner is entitled to all the protections in the Bill of Rights," he said. "They should not be in U.S. courts and before military commissions."

Social justice advocates bristle at McConnell's assertions.

"No one has ever complained that the system was inadequate until Guantanamo turned our notions of fairness and justice upside down," said David Remes, an attorney with Appeal for Justice, a human rights and civil liberties law practice.

Paul differs from McConnell in that he believes the two accused terrorists should be tried in a civilian court.

For his part, Holder, in a speech at the American Constitution Society convention last month, was sharply critical of "some in Congress" who "claim that utilizing our civilian court system — as we have for more than 200 years — would somehow jeopardize public safety."

"The politics of this issue have drawn the Guantanamo knot even tighter than it was when President Obama came to office," said Matthew Waxman, a professor at Columbia Law School and a former George W. Bush administration-era Pentagon adviser on detention issues. "Congressional Republicans are making it almost impossible to take anyone out of Guantanamo and the President's policy commitments to closing it are making it impossible to bring anyone into Guantanamo."

As originally conceived, Guantanamo was not so much designed for terrorism suspects captured in the United States or for U.S. nationals. It was originally conceived for foreign terrorists captured abroad, said Bradford Berenson, a former White House legal advisor during the George W. Bush administration.

"Even the most hawkish Bush administration officials would never argue and did never argue that civilian courts should not be used," Berenson said. "They simply argued that military courts should be available and used where appropriate."

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

How Congress helped thwart Obama's plan to close Guantanamo

Holder, McConnell at odds over Kentucky terror suspects

McConnell says Kentucky could face attack if terror suspects are held here

  Comments  

Videos

U.S. border officials fire tear gas at migrants in Tijuana

Bishop Michael Curry leads prayer during funeral for George H.W. Bush

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

5 reasons farmers grow thirsty crops in dry climates

July 24, 2015 11:50 AM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Read Next

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

White House

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

By Stuart Leavenworth

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 04, 2019 03:45 PM

The Trump administration has delayed release of $16 billion in disaster mitigation funds, prompting complaints from Puerto Rico and Texas, which are worried about the approaching hurricane season.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

Congress

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Congress

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM
Perry Deane Young, NC-born Vietnam War correspondent and author, has died

National

Perry Deane Young, NC-born Vietnam War correspondent and author, has died

January 03, 2019 01:48 PM
Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

Congress

Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

January 03, 2019 04:31 PM
Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

Congress

Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

January 03, 2019 03:22 PM
Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

Congress

Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

January 03, 2019 12:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story