TACOMA, Wash. -- Tacoma restaurant owner and Egypt native Wafa Abdelrehim was breathing a bit easier Saturday after he was able to speak with his son in Cairo.
“He knew if I was there, I would be out there in the streets,” Abdelrehim said. “He said, ‘I’m taking your place.’”
Abdelrehim, who left Egypt in 2008 and settled in the United States as a political refugee, had initially been unable to make contact with his son and daughter-in-law after violence broke out in his home country.
Abdelrehim said he has been trying to call Cairo every few hours since he heard about street protests and push-back from government security officers. But until Saturday, phone contact had been blocked.
He said his son reported Saturday that the situation had calmed somewhat because the police “ran away, and stopped shooting at people.”
That allowed the Egyptian Army to step in, he said.
To read the complete article, visit TheNewsTribune.com
Comments