McClatchy DC Logo

Obama decision to close Yucca nuclear dump back in court | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National

Obama decision to close Yucca nuclear dump back in court

Annette Cary - Tri-City Herald

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 12, 2010 09:00 PM

RICHLAND, Wash. — A federal appeals court has decided to move ahead with lawsuits challenging the Department of Energy's authority to scrap plans to make Yucca Mountain, Nev., a national repository for nuclear waste.

The lawsuits had been on hold while the District of Columbia Circuit Court of Appeals waited for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission to decide whether DOE had the authority to withdraw its license application for Yucca Mountain.

In June, an NRC legal panel ruled that DOE must move forward with the license, but the NRC commissioners have not issued a required decision since then.

“We’re gratified that the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals, in response to our petition, is again taking control of this case and putting it back on track,” said Rob McKenna, Washington state's attorney general, in a statement.

SIGN UP

“This is another step forward to prevent the federal government from permanently ending the process to develop the nation’s only congressionally approved, high-level nuclear waste repository,” he said.

The state, which is among the parties that have filed a federal lawsuit, filed a petition in September asking that the court lift its stay on the case. It sent a followup letter last week reminding the court that it did not have an answer.

“While we do not wish to intrude on the court’s prerogative to carefully consider our motion, we also want to make sure that our motion has not inadvertently been overlooked,” the letter said.

In response, the court Friday not only lifted the hold on the case, but also put it back on an expedited schedule so a decision may be made quickly.

“We are looking forward to the court hearing our case and hopefully deciding Yucca Mountain should stay open,” said Gary Petersen. He and fellow Tri-City business leaders Bob Ferguson and Bill Lampson filed a lawsuit before the state became involved.

In 2002, Congress designated Yucca Mountain as the nation’s sole repository site for the deep geological disposal of high-level radioactive waste and used nuclear fuel. That includes fuel from nuclear power plants, such as the Columbia Generating Station near Richland, Wash., and high-level radioactive waste from the Hanford Site, a nuclear production facility near Hanford, Wash., that was created in 1943 as part of the original Manhattan Project that led to the atomic bomb.

The $12.3 billion Hanford vitrification plant has been designed to meet Yucca Mountain specifications for disposal of Hanford’s high-level radioactive tank waste after it is turned into a stable glass form. Hanford’s irradiated fuel that was not processed at the end of the Cold War to produce plutonium for weapons use also is supposed to go to Yucca Mountain.

The state has argued that removing Yucca Mountain as the nation’s repository would significantly set back cleanup at Hanford and put at risk the state’s environment and its people.

Business leaders in the area filed suit out of concern that high-level radioactive waste will be stranded permanently at Hanford. They’ve pointed out that $10 billion had been spent toward making Yucca Mountain a national repository before the Obama administration moved to terminate the project.

Supporters of opening Yucca Mountain, or at least of continuing the licensing review to make a decision about its suitability, argue that it is being shut down in response to campaign promises made in Nevada by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., and that DOE has not made a scientific case to support the shutdown.

The business leaders retained K&L Gates for the lawsuit in February and now are seeking donations to help defray costs.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

politics-government

S.C. Rep. Spratt challenges NRC over Yucca Mountain decision

October 12, 2010 07:28 AM

national

Obama halt to Yucca Mountain nuclear waste site slammed

July 27, 2010 06:57 PM

opinion

Commentary: Harry Reid and risky Yucca Mountain

July 14, 2010 03:00 PM

national

Judges rule Obama can't close Yucca Mountain nuclear dump

July 04, 2010 05:22 AM

opinion

Commentary: Yucca Mountain nuclear waste decision needs broader action

March 02, 2010 11:41 AM

politics-government

Obama grants loan guarantee to build new nuclear reactors

February 16, 2010 06:08 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Bishop Michael Curry leads prayer during funeral for George H.W. Bush

Barack Obama surprises Michelle at event for her new book ‘Becoming’

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Read Next

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

By Kate Irby

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

California Republican Party Chair Jim Brulte is sounding a warning on the GOP needing to appeal more to Asian and Latino Americans. California House Republicans don’t know how to do that.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM
Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM
House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM
Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

Congress

Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

December 20, 2018 02:59 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story