McClatchy DC Logo

Pentagon revives 'don't ask, don't tell,' but with restrictions | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National

Pentagon revives 'don't ask, don't tell,' but with restrictions

Nancy A. Youssef - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

October 21, 2010 07:08 PM

WASHINGTON — Only top members of the Defense Department now can expel service members under the Pentagon's "don't ask, don't tell" policy, the Pentagon announced Thursday in response to the ongoing legal battle over whether the military's ban on gays and lesbians serving openly is constitutional.

Hundreds of officers once had the authority to expel service members for revealing that they're gay or lesbian, so the order appears to limit the number of people who can be discharged. The Pentagon, however, denied that's the case, saying the new policy is designed to apply the 1993 policy uniformly.

Secretary of Defense Robert Gates issued the memorandum Wednesday. It ordered that only the chief of the Air Force, Army and Navy, depending on where a suspected member serves, in coordination with the undersecretary of defense for personnel and readiness and the Defense Department's general counsel, may discharge openly gay or lesbian service members.

Gates issued the memo in response to a California appeals court decision Wednesday to reinstate "don't ask, don't tell" temporarily. A week earlier, a federal district court judge found it unconstitutional and issued a worldwide stay of it.

SIGN UP

"The Pentagon appears to be saying to the court and to service members that it will provide all service members the protections already afforded officers, but with no delegation of that authority: All proposed DADT discharges, regardless of grade and rank, will be reviewed at the highest civilian levels," said the Servicemembers Legal Defense Network, which is dedicated to ending "don't ask, don't tell." "This can be a major constructive development for gay and lesbian service members."

During the eight days between the district judge's ruling and Thursday's stay, Pentagon officials said they'd heard anecdotal stories of service members who'd been expelled and had tried to re-enlist. Pentagon officials said they didn't know how many open gays and lesbians had attempted to re-enlist, although they think the number is small.

A number of people heeded the advice of legal organizations and didn't reveal their sexual orientations, said a senior defense attorney, whom the Pentagon said couldn't be further identified. The Pentagon didn't offer any further explanation for requiring the attorney's anonymity.

The Pentagon had suspended cases against soldiers charged with openly being gay or lesbian after last week's injunction. In addition, the military began welcoming openly gay and lesbian soldiers seeking to enlist.

Although President Barack Obama has promised that "don't ask, don't tell" will end during his administration, he wants Congress, not the courts, to repeal the law. It's a delicate balance for the administration, which has sought a stay of the district judge's ruling while the Defense Department completes a yearlong study on how to repeal the policy.

It's unclear when the court of appeals will rule on the government's appeal, but the unnamed Defense Department official said he expected a ruling sometime next year.

U.S. District Judge Virginia Phillips issued the injunction against "don't ask, don't tell" after she found that the policy violated service members' First Amendment rights. The case was brought by the Log Cabin Republicans, which represent gay GOP members.

Wednesday's decision was the second time the courts ruled on the legal validity of "don't ask, don't tell" in the last week, leaving the military in disarray over what to do.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Appeals court temporarily reinstates military's gay ban

'Don't ask, don't tell' shift catches South Florida recruiters by surprise

Judge rejects Obama's 'don't ask, don't tell' argument

Pentagon halts enforcement of gay ban amid legal challenge

McClatchy's national security blog: Nukes & Spooks

Related stories from McClatchy DC

HOMEPAGE

McClatchy's Nukes & Spooks blog

January 15, 2009 09:27 AM

opinion

Commentary: Reversals on 'don't ask, don't tell' undermine order

October 21, 2010 02:36 PM

politics-government

Appeals court temporarily reinstates military's gay ban

October 20, 2010 08:50 PM

politics-government

Pentagon halts enforcement of gay ban amid legal challenge

October 14, 2010 08:32 PM

politics-government

Judge orders military to stop enforcing 'don't ask, don't tell'

October 12, 2010 07:25 PM

  Comments  

Videos

U.S. border officials fire tear gas at migrants in Tijuana

Bishop Michael Curry leads prayer during funeral for George H.W. Bush

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Nobody knows exactly how many assault rifles exist in the U.S. – by design

February 23, 2018 06:21 PM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Read Next

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

White House

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

By Stuart Leavenworth

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 04, 2019 03:45 PM

The Trump administration has delayed release of $16 billion in disaster mitigation funds, prompting complaints from Puerto Rico and Texas, which are worried about the approaching hurricane season.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

Congress

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Congress

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM
Perry Deane Young, NC-born Vietnam War correspondent and author, has died

National

Perry Deane Young, NC-born Vietnam War correspondent and author, has died

January 03, 2019 01:48 PM
Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

Congress

Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

January 03, 2019 04:31 PM
Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

Congress

Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

January 03, 2019 03:22 PM
Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

Congress

Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

January 03, 2019 12:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story