McClatchy DC Logo

Quran burning saga takes another turn | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National

Quran burning saga takes another turn

Nirvi Shah - The Miami Herald

    ORDER REPRINT →

September 10, 2010 07:22 AM

The Quran-burning drama that had transfixed the nation and reached several corners of the world seemed to be resolved for a few hours Thursday, only to flare anew. Even as local, national and world leaders applauded the Rev. Terry Jones' decision to drop a widely criticized plan to burn the Quran, the Gainesville pastor later backtracked, saying he was lied to.

Meanwhile, a statement released late Thursday by nine South Florida pastors, including Tullian Tchividjian of Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church, appeared to criticize Jones' initial position. "The Bible does not condone this act -- which is neither Christ-like, loving nor kind -- and neither do we," said the statement.

Jones said he initially changed his mind about burning the Muslims' holy book on Saturday because a Central Florida Muslim leader promised him a New York mosque would not be built near Ground Zero.

Hours later, after Imam Muhammad Musri of the Islamic Society of Central Florida and the leader of the New York mosque denied such an agreement, Jones said Musri "clearly, clearly lied to us."

SIGN UP

"Given what we are now hearing, we are forced to rethink our decision," Jones said. "So as of right now, we are not canceling the event, but we are suspending it."

Musri, who stood alongside Jones at an earlier press conference as the reverend canceled the book burning, said later he never promised that the New York mosque would be moved.

"I told the pastor that I personally believe the mosque should not be there, and I will do everything in my power to make sure it is moved," said Musri, who met with Jones at least twice this week. "But there is not any offer from [New York] that it will be moved. All we have agreed to is a meeting, and I think we would all like to see a peaceful resolution."

Jones, pastor of the 50-member Dove World Outreach Center, had never invoked the mosque controversy as a reason for his planned protest. He cited his belief that the Quran is evil because it espouses something other than biblical truth and incites radical, violent behavior among Muslims.

But, he said he prayed about the decision and concluded that if the mosque was moved, it would be a sign from God to call off the Quran burning. "We are, of course, now against any other group burning Qurans," Jones said earlier in the day. "We would right now ask no one to burn Qurans. We are absolutely strong on that. It is not the time to do it."

Jones had said he and Musri would travel to New York on Saturday to meet the imam involved in the Ground Zero project.

To read the complete article, visit www.miamiherald.com.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Quran burning canceled after Pentagon calls pastor

September 09, 2010 08:33 PM

world

Clinton warns U.S. embassies over planned Quran burning

September 08, 2010 08:46 PM

national

Fred Phelps' daughter: 'Westboro Church has already burned Qurans'

September 09, 2010 07:03 AM

politics-government

Obama calls plans to burn Qurans 'bonanza' for al Qaida

September 09, 2010 12:22 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Bishop Michael Curry leads prayer during funeral for George H.W. Bush

Barack Obama surprises Michelle at event for her new book ‘Becoming’

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

By Kate Irby

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

California Republican Party Chair Jim Brulte is sounding a warning on the GOP needing to appeal more to Asian and Latino Americans. California House Republicans don’t know how to do that.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM
Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM
House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM
Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

Congress

Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

December 20, 2018 02:59 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story