McClatchy DC Logo

BP to begin recovery of Deepwater Horizon blowout preventer Thursday | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National

BP to begin recovery of Deepwater Horizon blowout preventer Thursday

McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

September 01, 2010 06:41 PM

WASHINGTON — BP will begin removing the failed Deepwater Horizon blowout preventer on Thursday, if seas calm as forecast in the Gulf of Mexico, the Obama administration's pointman on the oil spill told reporters Wednesday.

Retired Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen said forecasters expected waves to be less than four feet by midday, allowing ships to lift first a containment cap that sealed the well July 15, then the blowout preventer, which has been subpoeaned by federal investigators probing why the Deepwater Horizon well exploded April 20, killing 11 workers and setting off a months-long economic and ecological disaster.

Allen said the blowout preventer would be hauled aboard the Q4000 drilling rig, then transferred to barges to be taken to shore. Federal criminal evidence experts will oversee the device's recovery, Allen said. Robot vehicles equipped with video cameras will monitor the operation from the beginning.

"There'll be a chain of custody to make sure that we know exactly the condition and that there is continuous monitoring . . . including ROVs when we start to actually move it," Allen said.

SIGN UP

He said the Justice Department had provided detailed guidelines for how the equipment is to be preserved.

Operations have been on hold at the well site 48 miles off the Lousiana coast since Monday, when engineers originally had hoped to begin moving the blowout preventer, because waves there were six to eight feet tall. Seas that rough risked putting too much pressure on the equipment needed to lift the blowout preventer, which weighs nearly half a million pounds, Allen said. The pipes that would tie it to the Q4000 add another 500,000 pounds.

"You can imagine the Q4000 riding up and down on the waves," Allen said. "When they ride up it exerts more dynamic loading on that pipe system. So we’re concerned about the weight and the ability of the pipe system to handle that."

Calm weather is expected to last till Sunday — enough time, Allen said, to remove the blowout preventer and place a new one over the well.

After the new blowout preventer is in place and has been tested, crews aboard the Development Driller III drilling rig will renew work on a relief well that Allen has said is the only way to ensure that the Deepwater Horizon well is truly dead. That work will begin sometime after the Labor Day weekend, Allen said. Technicians anticipate that it will take four days to drill the 50 feet needed to reach the depth where engineers would like to intercept the Deepwater Horizon well. Pumping heavy mud and then cement into the well after that could take anywhere from a few days to two weeks, BP officials and Allen have said previously.

No oil has leaked from the Deepwater Horizon well into the Gulf of Mexico since July 15, when the containment cap was placed atop the blowout preventer, and the well has been dead since Aug. 3, when BP pumped more than a million pounds of heavy drilling mud into it, forcing the oil back into rock formations 13,000 feet below the seafloor. BP then poured cement into the well, sealing it, on Aug. 5 and a variety of tests since have confirmed that no oil is flowing out of the rock formations into the well.

Allen and government scientists have insisted, however, that the relief well be completed. Allen said last week that only the relief well will confirm for government scientists that the connection between the reservoir and the well's annulus — the area between the rock walls of the wellbore and the outside of drilling pipe — is blocked permanently.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

national

Transcript of Adm. Thad Allen's Sept. 1 briefing on the BP oil spill

September 01, 2010 06:00 PM

national

Templeton, embattled Missouri DNR leader, joins Gulf spill response team

August 31, 2010 07:14 AM

  Comments  

Videos

Bishop Michael Curry leads prayer during funeral for George H.W. Bush

Barack Obama surprises Michelle at event for her new book ‘Becoming’

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

By Kate Irby

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

California Republican Party Chair Jim Brulte is sounding a warning on the GOP needing to appeal more to Asian and Latino Americans. California House Republicans don’t know how to do that.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM
Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM
House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM
Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

Congress

Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

December 20, 2018 02:59 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story