McClatchy DC Logo

Weather delays recovery of BP well's blowout preventer | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National

Weather delays recovery of BP well's blowout preventer

McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

August 30, 2010 01:17 PM

WASHINGTON — High seas at the site of BP's Deepwater Horizon oil well in the Gulf of Mexico will delay for at least two to three days the recovery of the well's failed blowout preventer, Retired Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen said Monday.

The weather also will push back the completion of a relief well that Allen has said for months is the only way to ensure that the Deepwater Horizon well is sealed permanently.

Engineers had hoped to lift the blowout preventer either Monday or Tuesday and install a new blowout preventer over the well on Wednesday in preparation for resuming drilling on the relief well perhaps Sept. 7 or 8. An effort to intercept the Deepwater Horizon wellbore with the relief well might have come as soon as four days after that.

With weather delaying those steps, however, it now appears likely that the relief well won't reach the Deepwater Horizon well before mid September — a reminder of how critical BP's successful closing off of the well July 15 with a containment valve known as a capping stack has been in easing the sense of crisis.

SIGN UP

No oil has spewed into the Gulf since the capping stack's valves were closed 46 days ago. Had the capping stack not worked, however, oil still would have been gushing from the well at an estimated rate of 53,000 barrels per day. That would have added at least 2.4 million barrels to the 4.9 million barrels government scientists have estimated spewed from the well between April 20 and July 15.

Allen, briefing reporters by phone from the Development Driller III rig at the site 48 miles off the Lousiana coast, said Monday that waves at the well site were six to eight feet tall, too high for surface ships to lift the blowout preventer safely. Of primary concern, Allen said, was that the rising and falling of the waves would cause too much force to be exerted on the blowout preventer as it was tugged from the seafloor.

Allen said last week that engineers are uncertain whether the blowout preventer, a four-story collection of gears and valves that weighs hundreds of thousands of pounds, is still connected to drilling pipe below the seafloor. Concerned that lifting the blowout preventer could damage cement that is now sealing the well, engineers had decided to limit the amount of pressure they'd exert on the device to 80,000 pounds until they were certain how or if the blowout preventer is connected to pipe still in the well. A wave, however, could suddenly add to that pressure.

Allen said the wave action also could cause the blowout preventer, once freed from the seafloor, to swing like a pendelum while it was suspended in the water 5,000 feet below the surface.

Allen said technicians were prepared to move ahead quickly once the weather calmed. Pipes and hoses that had tied the blowout preventer to equipment on the seafloor and ships on the surface were all disconnected over the weekend in preparation for the device's recovery.

Why the blowout preventer, which is designed to sever the drill pipe leading from the well to the surface, failed is a key question in the investigations of the Deepwater Horizon catastrophe, which killed 11 oilrig workers and caused billions of dollars in economic damages. BP and Transcocean, which BP hired to drill the well and owns the blowout preventer, have blamed each other for its failure.

Allen said a 11 members of a Justice Department evidence team that will supervise the blowout preventer's recovery are aboard the Discoverer Enterprise drill ship, which will haul the capping stack to the surface, and the Q4000 drilling platform, which will bring the blowout preventer to the surface.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

national

Transcript of Adm. Thad Allen's Aug. 30 briefing on the BP oil spill

August 30, 2010 07:27 PM

national

Spill hearing focuses on point man for well design

August 27, 2010 09:00 PM

crime

Evidence experts to oversee blowout preventer recovery

August 27, 2010 05:59 PM

national

Investigators blast BP, saying it failed to learn from past accidents

August 27, 2010 05:28 PM

politics-government

Scientists say Gulf oil to linger, Obama's estimates rosy

August 19, 2010 06:24 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Bishop Michael Curry leads prayer during funeral for George H.W. Bush

Barack Obama surprises Michelle at event for her new book ‘Becoming’

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

By Kate Irby

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

California Republican Party Chair Jim Brulte is sounding a warning on the GOP needing to appeal more to Asian and Latino Americans. California House Republicans don’t know how to do that.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM
Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM
House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM
Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

Congress

Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

December 20, 2018 02:59 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story