McClatchy DC Logo

U.S. casualties to mount as Afghan war widens, general says | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National

U.S. casualties to mount as Afghan war widens, general says

Reid Davenport - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

July 07, 2010 07:32 PM

WASHINGTON — U.S. troops deaths in Afghanistan, which reached record highs in the last two months, will continue climbing, a top U.S. military commander warned Wednesday because the military is trying to oust the Taliban from places they've never been challenged before.

"We are going into places that have been significant support bases for the Taliban for the past several years," Lt. Gen. David Rodriguez, the No. 2 commander in Afghanistan in charge of day-to-day war operations, told reporters in a video teleconference briefing at the Pentagon. "And they're going to fight hard for those, and that's why we expect the casualties to go up."

Rodriguez was the first commander to make to comment about the state of the war since his former boss, Afghan commander Gen. Stanley McChrystal, was forced to resign last month over derogatory comments he and his staff made in a Rolling Stone magazine piece. President Barack Obama named U.S. Central Command commander Gen. David Petraeus as his replacement and Petraeus officially took command July 4.

With growing concerns among Afghans and U.S. legislators alike about the state of the war, Rodriguez assured that Afghanistan was on the right track despite rising U.S. troop deaths, rampant corruption, growing ethnic tensions, a stalled offensive in Kandahar, a doubtful political solution and a looming July 2011 deadline to show progress.

SIGN UP

He said he did not anticipate a change in strategy with Petraeus' arrival, calling it a personnel change. Rather, he said there was an "upward trajectory" toward establishing security in southern Afghanistan, the focus of recent U.S. efforts.

Rodriguez said that increased U.S. casualties should not be interpreted as Afghan regions falling back into the hands of the Taliban.

Instead, "This is a contest of will and a contest of threat and intimidation versus people who are going to stand up for themselves and their government, and then the security forces who are charged with protecting the Afghan people," he said.

There have been 94 U.S. fatalities in May and June, which account for about eight percent of U.S. fatalities since the 2001 invasion. July has already seen thirteen U.S. fatalities.

Rodriguez said that U.S. forces are now seeing less resistance in places like the Helmand River Valley and southern Afghan city of Marjah, the site of a major U.S. offensive earlier this year. While military leaders had once heralded the campaign in the Taliban stronghold, they have recently conceded that despite the offensive, the Taliban presence and fear campaign continues in Marjah.

But Rodriguez said there have been changes in the last week. The U.S. is gaining support in that previous Taliban hotspot and violence is falling. Rodriguez didn't have any statistical evidence to demonstrate an increased support of U.S. forces in former Taliban controlled regions.

Rodriguez said he expects Marjah to further develop a council in the upcoming months, a sign of its commitment to representative government.

"Those who think the Afghan people will let the nation slip back to the control of the insurgents don't know the Afghan people," he said. "Those who doubt, fail to consider those people's courage and resilience."

And he said that there is a clear increase in Afghan participation in their representative government in other parts of the country as well.

"Again, the important part is the people continue to participate with their government, the bazaars continue to be open and there are more and more schools open all the time," Rodriguez said.

There are currently 93,000 U.S. troops and 48,000 coalition troops in Afghanistan.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Dangerous Afghan highway threatens NATO supply flow

Obama's Afghan strategy remains plagued by problems

McChrystal: Kandahar operation 'will happen more slowly'

Next big combat mission in Afghanistan will target Kandahar

Check out McClatchy's politics blog: Planet Washington

  Comments  

Videos

U.S. border officials fire tear gas at migrants in Tijuana

Bishop Michael Curry leads prayer during funeral for George H.W. Bush

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Your DNA kit begins a ‘journey of discovery’ – but are results in safe hands?

December 04, 2017 05:00 AM

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM

Read Next

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

White House

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

By Stuart Leavenworth

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 04, 2019 03:45 PM

The Trump administration has delayed release of $16 billion in disaster mitigation funds, prompting complaints from Puerto Rico and Texas, which are worried about the approaching hurricane season.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

Congress

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Congress

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM
Perry Deane Young, NC-born Vietnam War correspondent and author, has died

National

Perry Deane Young, NC-born Vietnam War correspondent and author, has died

January 03, 2019 01:48 PM
Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

Congress

Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

January 03, 2019 04:31 PM
Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

Congress

Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

January 03, 2019 03:22 PM
Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

Congress

Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

January 03, 2019 12:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story