McClatchy DC Logo

Feds: New Gulf waivers are for existing wells | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National

Feds: New Gulf waivers are for existing wells

Shashank Bengali - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

June 20, 2010 04:38 PM

Three environmental waivers granted by federal regulators this month were for modifying existing oil projects in the Gulf of Mexico, U.S. officials told McClatchy.

The Department of Interior's Minerals Management Service issued the waivers _ which exempt oil and gas projects from detailed analysis of their environmental impacts _ to allow oil companies to conduct seismic activity, add generators and begin production on existing sites in the Gulf, according to an official who couldn't be named under department policy. None were for drilling new wells.

McClatchy reported Friday that the agency had granted the waivers since a June 2 order by its acting director, Bob Abbey, that oil companies must submit additional safety information before proceeding with drilling and exploration plans in the Gulf.

President Barack Obama has promised to end the waivers, saying he was "closing the loophole that has allowed some oil companies to bypass some critical environmental reviews." Yet Obama's six-month moratorium on deepwater drilling in the wake of the BP disaster doesn't stop the MMS from granting waivers.

SIGN UP

Department of Interior spokeswoman Kendra Barkoff said that the use of waivers was being reviewed as part of "reforms and recommendations that we expect will come from the presidential commission and other ongoing investigations" into U.S. drilling policy, but that no final decisions had been made.

Obama administration officials said they're also asking Congress to change a law that requires the MMS to review exploration plans within 30 days, so that there could be more time to conduct additional environmental analysis, if needed.

Environmental groups have sharply criticized the waivers, one of which was granted to BP for the well that's been spilling crude into the Gulf for the past two months. McClatchy has previously reported that the MMS granted waivers to dozens of oil companies whose Gulf exploration and production plans were near-carbon copies of BP's, and which minimized the risks of spills and environmental damage.

Of a total of five projects the MMS has approved in the Gulf since June 2, three were for sites where it has previously OK'd such drilling plans, according to the agency's public records. The companies working on those sites are Chevron, Exxon Mobil and Houston-based Rooster Petroleum.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Under GOP pressure, Barton retracts statements on BP

Federal approval still flowing for flawed Gulf drilling plans

MMS blasted for lax offshore drilling scrutiny

Follow the latest politics news at McClatchy's Planet Washington

Related stories from McClatchy DC

national

Scientists: Gulf oil spill threatens breeding ground for bluefin tuna

June 18, 2010 06:39 PM

white-house

BP's oil recovery stats show how wrong leak estimates were

June 17, 2010 12:22 PM

national

Obama officials still approving flawed Gulf drilling plans

June 18, 2010 04:56 PM

  Comments  

Videos

U.S. border officials fire tear gas at migrants in Tijuana

Bishop Michael Curry leads prayer during funeral for George H.W. Bush

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM

Read Next

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

White House

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

By Stuart Leavenworth

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 04, 2019 03:45 PM

The Trump administration has delayed release of $16 billion in disaster mitigation funds, prompting complaints from Puerto Rico and Texas, which are worried about the approaching hurricane season.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

Congress

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Congress

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM
Perry Deane Young, NC-born Vietnam War correspondent and author, has died

National

Perry Deane Young, NC-born Vietnam War correspondent and author, has died

January 03, 2019 01:48 PM
Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

Congress

Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

January 03, 2019 04:31 PM
Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

Congress

Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

January 03, 2019 03:22 PM
Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

Congress

Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

January 03, 2019 12:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story