McClatchy DC Logo

BP declines to attend Mississippi hearings on the Gulf oil leak | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National

BP declines to attend Mississippi hearings on the Gulf oil leak

Michael Newsom - Biloxi Sun Herald

    ORDER REPRINT →

June 09, 2010 11:21 AM

JACKSON, Miss. — Officials from BP, Halliburton and Transocean have declined to attend hearings on the Gulf of Mexico oil leak scheduled for this week by Mississippi's House of Representatives.

The lawmakers had set aside three days for the hearings, but at noon Tuesday the select committee was informed that the companies involved in the ongoing disaster that began April 20 with the explosion of Transocean's Deepwater Horizon drilling rig would not send representatives.

BP officials had answered questions at hearings the Mississippi Senate held in Biloxi last week, but House Speaker Billy McCoy, D-Rienzi, called their absence in the House this week “an insult to our citizens and the Legislature.”

“Considering the many officials BP has on standby in the Gulf Coast region, it is simply incomprehensible that the company could not send at least one to these hearings to give our citizens, lawmakers and business leaders their viewpoint on this oil spill disaster,” McCoy said. “We are not holding these hearings to conduct a witch hunt.”

SIGN UP

McCoy received a letter from BP Tuesday in which officials declined the meeting, saying the appropriate employees were not available this week, but that the company would meet with the committee in the future, either in Jackson or in South Mississippi. The letter was signed by Margaret D. Laney, BP’s Mississippi coordinator for public and government affairs.

“We at BP take very seriously the desire of the Select Committee to gather on the circumstances on the Mississippi Coast relative to the spill,” Laney wrote. “We are committed to meeting regularly with stakeholders along the Gulf Coast and to providing briefings for government officials on a regular basis and we will continue to remain engaged in this way.”

A BP spokesperson told the Associated Press Tuesday that the appropriate company officials were headed to Washington this week for meetings there.

Though Attorney General Jim Hood and Gov. Haley Barbour gave the committee extensive updates on the spill Tuesday, there was a strong sense of frustration about the company officials’ absence. Rep. Brandon Jones, D-Pascagoula, said he was looking forward to a lively, unscripted discussion with BP.

“Every one of BP’s public pronouncements has been as produced and careful as the Tiger Woods’ apology,” Jones said. “What we want is for them to answer the hard questions and give us a sense of what is going on. By not showing up, it just leaves all that to our imagination and it breeds frustration. We’re already dealing with a very frustrating environment. We need more specifics.”

South Mississippi elected officials at the hearing expressed anger over the state’s control over $15 million in BP funds to be used to advertise coastal tourism in the wake of the spill. State Reps. Richard Bennett, R-Long Beach, and Scott DeLano, R-Biloxi, told officials that they believe coastal tourism resources are being wasted, as local tourism officials know best how to attract visitors to the area.

“That’s all (local tourism officials) do,” Bennett said. “It’s not like you are giving it to a bunch of amateurs down there.”

Officials told lawmakers that advanced hotel bookings are down 60 percent on the Coast. They also said tourists spend about $1.6 billion annually when the visit the Mississippi Gulf Coast, which is about a third of the state’s tourism industry.

Harrison County Emergency Management Director Rupert Lacy told the committee the process to get the “Unified Command” to approve local decisions is also working much too slowly.

Hood told the committee he was working to prevent the state’s claims for destruction of tidelands, marshes, revenue losses and other damages from being filed in federal court. Hood fears there would be a move to get the state’s cases settled too quickly in federal court, even though the full effects of the spill may not be seen for several years.

“If I can keep this in state court, we will get our cases settled,” Hood said. “I will fight for every dime.”

Hood said he also hopes to appoint a special expert in the next few days to monitor the claims process.

The House committee on the spill only met one day this week because of cancellations by company officials, but Rep. John Mayo, D-Clarksdale, who presided over the hearing, said the committee will continue to meet and determine whether any legislation is needed to address the spill.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

national

BP well may be spewing 100,000 barrels a day, scientist says

June 07, 2010 06:54 PM

national

NOAA confirms oil floating beneath Gulf's surface

June 08, 2010 08:24 PM

national

BP to give revenue from spilled oil to wildlife fund

June 08, 2010 07:32 PM

national

Feds knew of Gulf spill risks in 2000, document shows

June 08, 2010 05:02 PM

national

Gulfport supervisors reject BP's plan to use landfill for oil spill waste

June 08, 2010 01:14 PM

politics-government

With 1 million gallons of dispersants in Gulf, worries mount

June 07, 2010 08:53 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Bishop Michael Curry leads prayer during funeral for George H.W. Bush

Barack Obama surprises Michelle at event for her new book ‘Becoming’

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

By Kate Irby

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

California Republican Party Chair Jim Brulte is sounding a warning on the GOP needing to appeal more to Asian and Latino Americans. California House Republicans don’t know how to do that.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM
Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM
House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM
Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

Congress

Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

December 20, 2018 02:59 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story