McClatchy DC Logo

Water cleared for use at Miami hotel where filtering was blamed for death | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National

Water cleared for use at Miami hotel where filtering was blamed for death

Diana Moskovitz - Miami Herald

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2009 09:59 PM

MIAMI — The water at the Epic Hotel was cleared for everyday use on Saturday, two weeks after the luxury location was forced to relocate guests due to possible bacteria in the water.

The health advisory began earlier this month after three cases of Legionnaires' disease -- including one death -- were found among people who had stayed at the hotel, 270 Biscayne Boulevard Way.

The health investigation also discovered that the hotel's filtration system may have been stripping chlorine out of its water, making it susceptible to waterborne diseases such as legionella.

However, Miami-Dade County Health Department officials on Saturday continued to say they couldn't be certain that Epic was the cause because their investigation wasn't complete.

SIGN UP

After the discovery, the hotel went through a series of processes to remove any contamination, steps which were described on Saturday by Dr. Samir Elmir, the health department's director of environmental health and engineering.

The suspect filtration system was disconnected, and chlorinated county water was allowed to flow in. Extra large doses of chlorine were sent through the system to kill bacteria in a process called ``super chlorination.''

Shower fixtures were removed and sanitized.

And a new system using copper-silver ionization was installed as an extra safeguard to disinfect the water and prevent the bacteria that causes Legionnaires' disease.

On Saturday, health officials said they were confident that the hotel's water was safe.

``We will continue to work with them to make sure the water supply is safe,'' said Lillian Rivera, administrator with the Miami-Dade County Health Department.

During the advisory, the hotel relocated its guests and did not accept new reservations, Epic spokesman Bruce Rubin said.

``We are pleased that the hotel is now receiving guests,'' Rubin said on Saturday.

People get Legionnaires' disease when they breathe in a mist or vapor that has been contaminated with the bacteria, according to the Centers for Disease Control. The bacteria are not spread from person to person.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

national

Miami visitor dies after hotel filters chlorine from water

December 13, 2009 10:49 AM

  Comments  

Videos

U.S. border officials fire tear gas at migrants in Tijuana

Bishop Michael Curry leads prayer during funeral for George H.W. Bush

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Who will replace Roberts? Kansas senator’s retirement could spur wild 2020 race

January 04, 2019 04:12 PM

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Read Next

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

White House

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

By Stuart Leavenworth

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 04, 2019 03:45 PM

The Trump administration has delayed release of $16 billion in disaster mitigation funds, prompting complaints from Puerto Rico and Texas, which are worried about the approaching hurricane season.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

Congress

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Congress

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM
Perry Deane Young, NC-born Vietnam War correspondent and author, has died

National

Perry Deane Young, NC-born Vietnam War correspondent and author, has died

January 03, 2019 01:48 PM
Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

Congress

Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

January 03, 2019 04:31 PM
Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

Congress

Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

January 03, 2019 03:22 PM
Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

Congress

Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

January 03, 2019 12:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story