McClatchy DC Logo

Indictment says teen made bomb threats through Internet conference calls | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National

Indictment says teen made bomb threats through Internet conference calls

Anne Blythe - Raleigh News & Observer

    ORDER REPRINT →

July 09, 2009 04:11 PM

The 16-year-old from Oxford, N.C., arrested this spring after bomb threats were were made to numerous colleges will be tried as an adult in federal court.

Ashton Lundeby, whose case became a sensation among bloggers and others after his mother's false claims that he was being detained under the Patriot Act, has been charged with conspiring to make bomb threats at Purdue University in Indiana and numerous other schools, including a Feb. 15 threat to UNC-Chapel Hill.

Lundeby was arrested March 5 at his home in Oxford.

Since then, his mother, Annette, has said repeatedly that he was being held as a domestic terrorist under the Patriot Act. Bloggers and others latched on to the case as the latest proof of totalitarian government running roughshod over its people.

SIGN UP

In May, though, federal prosecutors tried to clear up the misconceptions. David Capp, the U.S. attorney for the Northern District of Indiana, issued a statement that elaborated on the charge filed against the juvenile in the bomb-threat case. Ashton's name was not mentioned because in federal court, anyone younger than 18 is considered a juvenile and the case is sealed.

The three-count federal indictment came after prosecutors sought to try Lundeby as an adult. The U.S. District Court in South Bend, Ind., granted the motion.

The indictments, issued by the federal grand jury allege an extensive conspiracy involving Lundeby and others who were not named.

Prosecutors say they transmitted bomb threats over the Internet with Lundeby often using "Tyrone" as a pseudonym. Through elaborate computer routings, the conspirators are accused of setting up large-scale conference calls over the Internet so participants could listen to the threats and watch live as law enforcement officers responded.

In addition to Purdue University and UNC-CH, prosecutors say threats went to Florida State University, Clemson University, Boston College and FBI offices in Pueblo, Colo., and Monroe, La.

The indictment also alleges that for a nominal fee the conspirators offered to make bomb threat calls, often to high schools, to close the schools.

  Comments  

Videos

Bishop Michael Curry leads prayer during funeral for George H.W. Bush

Barack Obama surprises Michelle at event for her new book ‘Becoming’

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

By Kate Irby

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

California Republican Party Chair Jim Brulte is sounding a warning on the GOP needing to appeal more to Asian and Latino Americans. California House Republicans don’t know how to do that.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM
Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM
House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM
Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

Congress

Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

December 20, 2018 02:59 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story