McClatchy DC Logo

Stimulus funds could help families in North Carolina | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National

Stimulus funds could help families in North Carolina

Barbara Barrett - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

February 26, 2009 05:45 PM

WASHINGTON — More than $10 billion in stimulus money announced by federal housing officials this week could help families in North Carolina move from the streets to permanent housing in Durham, pay for renovations to poor senior citizens' apartments in Raleigh and develop low-income communities in Chapel Hill.

The cash from the Housing and Urban Development agency is among the first — and most local — infusions of dollars to come from the massive economic stimulus bill that President Barack Obama signed into law this month.

Local housing advocates say they welcome the money, but for many programs there are remaining questions about how — and how quickly — the dollars can be spent.

"In a couple of areas, this certainly is going to be an opportunity in people's lives that we haven't had previously," said Chris Estes, executive director of the N.C. Housing Coalition in Raleigh. The challenge will be to ensure these resources will be allocated in a way that they get spent. It's not like we have a network of folks ready to jump.

SIGN UP

Around North Carolina, local housing and redevelopment agencies learned late Wednesday how much they would get from more than $100 million being sent to the state. The money goes to Community Development Block Grants, to homelessness prevention and to assistance to help companies build affordable rental housing.

Across the state, more money will pay for lead mitigation in Greenville and Charlotte, and for tribal housing projects for the Lumbee, the Eastern Band of Cherokee and three other state-recognized tribes.

"I'm absolutely delighted," said Steve Beam, executive director of the Raleigh Housing Authority, which will receive $4.2 million — about twice his normal yearly allotment for renovation projects.

"It's going to allow me to jump ahead almost two years on our 5-year capital plan," Beam said.

The announcement in Washington came just eight days after Obama signed the stimulus bill into law, and the money should start flowing as soon as possible, said Brian Sullivan, a spokesman for the Housing and Urban Development department. Much of it is focused on projects that can be contracted within 120 days.

Altogether, the law includes $13.6 billion for the agency. Some $10 billion was announced Wednesday under state-by-state formulas; the rest will be distributed by grant applications with a focus on energy efficiency.

While local and state officials said Thursday they were excited about the news, many questions remain.

There is no state-run homelessness prevention office, for example, set up to spend the $22.2 million headed to North Carolina, said Denise Neunaber, executive director of the N.C. Coalition to End Homelessness, a non-profit agency in Raleigh.

That new money is designed to keep families on the verge of homelessness in housing, and to help families on the streets move quickly back into housing. Money could go to utility deposits, rental assistance or budget counseling, Neunaber said.

But now, Neunaber said, the state focuses primarily on emergency shelter programs.

"The state has to decide how they’re going to spend it," she said.

State and local leaders also aren't sure how they can spend millions for Community Development Block Grants, which usually go to revitalize struggling communities.

Every community has a wishlist, but planners need to know just what they're allowed to do with the new funding, said Rae Buckley, a senior planner in Chapel Hill.

"We'll absolutely find something to do with it," she said.

In Raleigh, Beam rushed to put together a preliminary list to bring to the Housing Authority’s board meeting for approval so he can begin to spend the money as soon as it's released from the federal agency.

Every public housing community in Raleigh will see some of the funding, Beam said. Cash will go to large-scale landscaping projects, to install new gutters and to a massive overhaul of hundreds of senior citizens' apartments in Glenwood Towers and Carriage House Apartments.

Beam will hire a new staff member to oversee the funding; more jobs will come in the private construction sector to make the renovations, he said.

Harrison Shannon, the chief executive officer of the Durham Housing Authority, announced the $4.3 million in new money Thursday to a cheering group of resident council presidents at a bi-monthly meeting.

The new dollars, on top of the $2.8 million in annual funding Durham will receive this year, will go far to tackle a long list of $47 million in renovation needs for about 1,500 housing units, Shannon said.

He expects to renovate cooling towers, replace boilers, install energy-efficient lighting in 160 apartments, upgrade smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, and build a playground fence.

"We had projects already in the pipeline," Shannon said. "I guess the new phrase around town is 'shovel-ready.'"

  Comments  

Videos

Bishop Michael Curry leads prayer during funeral for George H.W. Bush

Barack Obama surprises Michelle at event for her new book ‘Becoming’

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

By Kate Irby

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

California Republican Party Chair Jim Brulte is sounding a warning on the GOP needing to appeal more to Asian and Latino Americans. California House Republicans don’t know how to do that.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM
Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM
House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM
Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

Congress

Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

December 20, 2018 02:59 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story