McClatchy DC Logo

Obama declares disaster in Kentucky ice storm | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National

Obama declares disaster in Kentucky ice storm

Halimah Abdullah - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

February 05, 2009 12:27 PM

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama on Thursday declared a major disaster in Kentucky in the aftermath of a massive ice storm that struck the state last week.

The major disaster declaration, which Gov. Steve Beshear requested earlier this week, will allow state and local governments to be reimbursed by the federal government for rescue and clean-up efforts. So far, clean-up from the storm has cost more than $61 million, and that number is expected to climb, according to Beshear's office.

Officials at the Federal Emergency Management Agency said they are still reviewing Beshear's request to reimburse the state 100 percent of the cost of rescue efforts during the first seven days after the storm — including an appeal to the federal government to pay for the salaries of National Guard troops who spent hours delivering meals and hacking through ice and fallen trees to free trapped residents.

At this point, the federal government will pick up 75 percent of those costs, FEMA officials said.

SIGN UP

"Obviously the president agrees that there was a need to assist Kentucky and we're certainly going to do everything we can to do that," said Kurt Pickering, a FEMA spokesman.

The major disaster declaration came days after Beshear asked the Obama administration to bolster federal aid to help pay for emergency work to restore power, hand out food and water and clear debris. FEMA officials said Beshear's request for additional aid to the state's farmers who may have lost crops during the storm will be forwarded to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Federal funding to pay for debris removal and emergency protective measures is available to the state and local governments and some private nonprofit organizations on a cost-sharing basis in more than 90 counties, FEMA officials said. Damage surveys are continuing in other areas, and additional counties may be designated for assistance after the assessments are completed.

In a statement, Beshear said he appreciated the quick approval of his request for more federal help.

"I will continue to pursue 100 percent reimbursement for the seven days following storm and I'm hopeful that we will receive approval for this as well," he said.

At its peak, the storm knocked out power to 769,353 customers in Kentucky. At least 29 deaths have been blamed on the storm, according to the governor’s office. Beshear has called the storm "the worst natural disaster" in the state’s modern history.

As of late Wednesday, the number of Kentuckians still without power had dropped to 157,200, according to the state Public Service Commission. Meanwhile, utility crews continued to work to rebuild electric lines, especially in Western Kentucky. And National Guard troops continued to hand out water and meals, and check on residents without power.

So far, 101 counties and 78 cities have declared emergencies because of the storm.

John Heltzel, director of the state’s Division of Emergency Management, said public utility companies estimate it will cost more than $60 million to restore power. Heltzel said the state and local governments have not yet tallied costs from the storm.

A previous federal disaster declaration, signed by Obama just days after the storm struck, brought federal help to many areas hit by the storm, with equipment like generators to help run hospitals and water treatment plants.

The ice storm has been viewed by some as the first test of FEMA's response under the Obama administration. The agency was widely criticized for its handling of the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, which slammed into the Gulf Coast in August 2005.

Beshear and other state officials generally have given FEMA good reviews for the agency's response, though officials in some Western Kentucky counties have said they could use even more help.

"The coordination of relief on the local, state, and federal levels has worked well in our district, and the National Guard has been invaluable," said Rep. Ben Chandler, D-Ky.

Other members of the state's congressional delegation, including Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, also applauded the president's swift action on the disaster declarations.

The acting administrator of FEMA, Nancy Ward, was in Kentucky on Wednesday and toured areas that had been ravaged by the storm. Ward also attended Beshear's State of the Commonwealth Address, in which the governor talked about the damage from the storm and the challenge of recovering from it. Next week, U.S. Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano is expected to visit the state.

State Rep. Brent Yonts, D-Greenville, applauded Obama for acting quickly on the major disaster declaration. The money will be a big boost for cities, many of which are worse off financially than the state, Yonts said.

"This will mean additional moneys, hopefully not just for overtime but for straight time," he said, referring to salaries for local government employees.

Lexington Herald-Leader staff writer Beth Musgrave contributed to this report from Frankfort, Ky..

  Comments  

Videos

Bishop Michael Curry leads prayer during funeral for George H.W. Bush

Barack Obama surprises Michelle at event for her new book ‘Becoming’

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

By Kate Irby

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

California Republican Party Chair Jim Brulte is sounding a warning on the GOP needing to appeal more to Asian and Latino Americans. California House Republicans don’t know how to do that.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM
Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM
House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM
Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

Congress

Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

December 20, 2018 02:59 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story