McClatchy DC Logo

Unused abortion fund may face N.C. budget ax | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National

Unused abortion fund may face N.C. budget ax

Ryan Teague Beckwith - The (Raleigh) News & Observer

    ORDER REPRINT →

February 04, 2009 06:49 AM

For 14 years, a state fund to help poor women pay for abortions has existed in name only.

Now, some want to end what remains of it.

With North Carolina facing an estimated $2 billion shortfall, a budget official recommended last week that Gov. Beverly Perdue eliminate the $50,000 annual budget for the State Abortion Fund.

Because of restrictions on how it can be used, none of that money has been spent since 1995. Each year, it is returned to the state's general fund.

SIGN UP

Eliminating it would be a tiny step toward helping the state meet its constitutional mandate to balance the budget. But it would also start a tug-of-war between anti-abortion and abortion-rights groups already fighting over other legislation.

Barbara Holt, executive director of N.C. Right to Life, said she would like to eliminate the program as well as paying for abortions through the state employee health plan and a children's health insurance program. She said it was an important symbol, even if the fund has not been used.

"Even one abortion is one too many," she said.

On the other side, NARAL Pro-Choice North Carolina head Sean Kosofsky argued that the fund is not just a symbol. He said his group still hopes to convince lawmakers to reduce the restrictions and increase funding for the program.

"We think it's important to leave that money in place to send a message that this is a state that cares about women's reproductive health," he said.

Perdue has not yet taken a stand on the program, but her spokeswoman, Chrissy Pearson, said the recommendation was one of dozens from agency officials that came in during the end of former Gov. Mike Easley's administration and the first days of Perdue's. She said Perdue will take a closer look at all of the suggestions.

To read the complete article, visit The News & Observer.

  Comments  

Videos

Bishop Michael Curry leads prayer during funeral for George H.W. Bush

Barack Obama surprises Michelle at event for her new book ‘Becoming’

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

By Kate Irby

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

California Republican Party Chair Jim Brulte is sounding a warning on the GOP needing to appeal more to Asian and Latino Americans. California House Republicans don’t know how to do that.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM
Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM
House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM
Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

Congress

Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

December 20, 2018 02:59 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story