McClatchy DC Logo

Economy takes its toll on South Beach's celebrity New Year's | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National

Economy takes its toll on South Beach's celebrity New Year's

Lydia Martin - Miami Herald

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 30, 2008 07:28 AM

A war. A stock market crash. A real estate bubble turned toil and trouble. Let's just say 2008 hasn't exactly been a party.

Except there's hope on the horizon. And that's enough reason to dust off your dancing shoes and usher in 2009 with proper pomp, no?

No?

Well, how about the fact that those over-the-top, celeb-choked, crazy-expensive New Year's Eve parties that characterized South Beach in recent years have been beaten down to size by the tanking economy. Which means you can get your groove on at some of the most upscale venues on both the Beach and the mainland this New Year's Eve without feeling like you've been roughed up before you've landed your first midnight kiss.

SIGN UP

Your bill will be less of a buzz kill at the Raleigh Hotel this year, where New York party diva Susanne Bartsch will offer a ''Burlesque New Year's Eve'' complete with performers in eye-popping costumes for $150 per person, including open bar. Last year, Mandy Moore hosted for $250 per person.

At the Setai up the street, dinner and four songs by Jennifer Hudson went for $1,000-$1,500 per person last year. If you went without dinner and without Hudson, general admission to the courtyard festivities set you back $500 per person, open bar included.

This year, the Setai is keeping things, um, real, with dinner at $750 per person. General admission, with open bar, is half last year's price. The Setai isn't boasting a celebrity draw, but it does promise a ''surprise celebrity guest,'' whatever that means.

For a mellower eve, there's still a fair number of celebs hosting or performing: Diddy at Fontainebleau's LIV nightclub ($300); Lindsay Lohan and squeeze Samantha Ronson at Mansion ($200); John Legend at Privé ($150); Chloe Sevigny and rapper T.I. at the Gansevoort ($225); The Roots at the Florida Room ($350); a Victoria's Secret model at Set ($250); a crew of Playboy Playmates at Karu & Y ($150).

But according to nightlife insiders, celeb appearance fees -- which for an A-lister could be $100,000-plus just to grab a mike and count backward from 10 in previous years -- have dropped. And DJs, who came to expect huge paydays on New Year's Eve, are having to settle for a regular night's wage at many venues.

''Agents are calling around offering their stars at discounted rates. In the past, agents didn't call around, you called them,'' says Maxwell Blandford, marketing director for The Forge, where the price of partying on New Year's Eve is the same as last year: $350 per person for a four-course dinner, which includes one bottle of Veuve Cliquot champagne per couple and entrance to the adjacent Glass nightclub. If you want to skip dinner, you can get into Glass for $50, drinks on you.

''Even local DJs were charging five times their regular fees for New Year's. But this year, they know not to even bother,'' says Blandford, who as usual, didn't book a celebrity host for The Forge.

Read the full story at MiamiHerald.com.

  Comments  

Videos

Bishop Michael Curry leads prayer during funeral for George H.W. Bush

Barack Obama surprises Michelle at event for her new book ‘Becoming’

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

By Kate Irby

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

California Republican Party Chair Jim Brulte is sounding a warning on the GOP needing to appeal more to Asian and Latino Americans. California House Republicans don’t know how to do that.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM
Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM
House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM
Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

Congress

Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

December 20, 2018 02:59 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story