McClatchy DC Logo

Bin Laden's driver gets light sentence, thanks military jury | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National

Bin Laden's driver gets light sentence, thanks military jury

Carol Rosenberg - Miami Herald

    ORDER REPRINT →

August 07, 2008 03:59 PM

GUANTANAMO BAY NAVY BASE, Cuba — In a stunning rebuke, a six-member U.S. military jury Thursday ignored a Pentagon prosecutor's plea for a 30 years-plus term and ordered Osama bin Laden's driver to 66 months in prison.

With credit for time served given by the judge, that means Salim Hamdan, 40, of Yemen will be sent back to the general detainee population of Camp Delta by January, and eligible to return home.

Choked with emotion on hearing the sentence, Hamdan stood and addressed the jury, unscripted, and twice more apologized for any pain his work as a $200-a-month driver had caused.

''And I would like to thank you for what you have done for me,'' he said.

SIGN UP

The jury's decision, after just 70 minutes of deliberation, was a huge rebuke to the U.S. government, which had insisted that on his conviction for material support for terror no less than 30 years confinement would suffice.

He is the first war-on-terror captive convicted at the first contested U.S. war crimes tribunal since World War II.

In response to a question sent to the judge, Navy Capt. Keith Allred, the jury knew before handing down the sentence that he had already gotten credit toward his conviction for 61 months and eight days.

A day earlier, the panel convicted the father of two with a fourth-grade education of providing material support for terror as Osama bin Laden's driver and bodyguard from 1996 to his capture in Afghanistan in 2001.

There was no immediate comment from the prosecutors, a mix of Defense Department and Justice Department lawyers. Prosecutor John Murphy had earlier in the day described Hamdan as a dangerous, ideological al Qaeda warrior who should be locked up for life.

Defense lawyers had consistently argued for years that the U.S. had made a scapegoat of the driver because his employer was still at large.

Pro-bono defense attorney Harry Schneider of Seattle told reporters moments after the sentence that guards took Hamdan to call his wife in Yemen, and give her the news.

''I think that will be a much easier phone call,'' Schneider said, than "some folks will have to make to Washington, D.C.''

In court, Hamdan's longest-serving defense attorney, retired Navy Lt. Cmdr. Charlie Swift, clasped the more diminutive Yemeni in a bearhug and both men openly wept.

Afterwards, Swift vowed that lawyers would work to send Hamdan home to his wife and two daughters by January. Lawyers were prepared to go straight to federal court with a habeas corpus petition, he said, were the U.S. to seek to continue to hold the driver after the sentence were done.

''What happened — despite the system — is justice,'' said Swift.

Defense lawyers calculated that Hamdan would be entitled to release before a new president takes the oath of office.

The jury was made up of senior U.S. military officers, among them an Apache helicopter pilot with battlefield experience, and included two colonels and two lieutenant colonels.

Led by a U.S. Navy captain, its most senior member, the jury acquitted him of a second charge of conspiracy alleging he was responsible for al Qaeda mayhem from the 1998 U.S. embassies bombings to the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks.

Allred had been inquiring into the circumstances of Hamdan's confinement at this sprawling offshore detention center for months. Defense lawyers said that ever since Hamdan was designated in July 2003 to face one of the very first trials, he had been separated from other detainees, in virtual solitary confinement with long periods of no sunshine.

Prosecutors and prison camps officials say there is no such thing as solitary confinement at Guantánamo.

Allred was still considering a motion for greater credit on Thursday even as the sentence was handed down.

After the jury's verdict, the judge turned to the convicted terrorist and said:

"I wish you godspeed, Mr. Hamdan. I hope the day comes when you return to your wife and your daughters and your country.''

''God willing,'' the man in traditional Yemeni robe and head scarf replied in Arabic, interrupting.

The judge continued: "And I hope that you are able to be a father, and a provider, and a husband in the best sense of the word.''

Then the detainee said it again: "Inshallah.''

Allred replied in Arabic. "Inshallah.''

As of Thursday, the Defense Department reported it held ''approximately 265'' detainees at this remote U.S. Navy base in Cuba — about 250 run-of-the-mill enemy combatants; 16 ''high-value detainees,'' meaning they were once held by the CIA and are in segregation at Camp 7, and one convict.

As the lone convict, his defense attorney told the judge, Hamdan was put in his own separate wing of Camp 5 Wednesday night.

Moments later, as he was led out of the courtroom by military guards, he turned to the spectators gallery, waved both hands in the air, and called out, "Bye-bye, everyone.''

  Comments  

Videos

Bishop Michael Curry leads prayer during funeral for George H.W. Bush

Barack Obama surprises Michelle at event for her new book ‘Becoming’

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Read Next

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

By Kate Irby

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

California Republican Party Chair Jim Brulte is sounding a warning on the GOP needing to appeal more to Asian and Latino Americans. California House Republicans don’t know how to do that.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM
Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM
House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM
Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

Congress

Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

December 20, 2018 02:59 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story