McClatchy DC Logo

Supreme Court slashes punitive award in Exxon Valdez oil spill | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National

Supreme Court slashes punitive award in Exxon Valdez oil spill

Erika Bolstad - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

June 25, 2008 10:55 AM

WASHINGTON — In a victory for corporations seeking to limit big-dollar lawsuits, the U.S. Supreme Court on Wednesday cut the $2.5 billion in punitive damages awarded in the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill.

The court reduced the award to $507.5 million, dashing the hopes of more than 32,000 fishermen and Alaska Natives who've been waiting for nearly 20 years to hear whether Exxon Mobil Corp. must pay billions in punitive damages for its part in the spill.

The original multibillion-dollar punitive damages had been awarded as punishment for grounding an oil tanker on Bligh Reef and spilling 11 million gallons of oil into the pristine fishing waters of Alaska's Prince William Sound.

The court held 5-3 that punitive damages in maritime cases should be no more than the compensatory damages. That one-to-one ratio, a new legal standard for punitive awards, applies only to punitive damages meted out under maritime law. It's designed to address "the stark unpredictability of punitive awards," the court decided.

SIGN UP

"The punitive damages award against Exxon was excessive as a matter of maritime common law," Justice David Souter wrote in the majority opinion. "In many instances a high ratio of punitive to compensatory damages is substantially greater than necessary to punish or deter."

In a dissent, Justice Stephen Breyer wrote that the one-to-one ratio was too rigid for the egregious nature of the company's conduct. Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg and John Paul Stevens also disagreed with cutting back the award.

Justice Samuel Alito, who owned Exxon stock, recused himself from the case.

For many Alaskans, the ruling cuts by four-fifths the windfall they were expecting.

The decision is "a total slap in the face," said Andy Wills of Homer, a former Prince William Sound salmon and herring fisherman. "It just shows how corrupt our country has become. This won't even pay off a credit card."

The ruling is a bitter disappointment to thousands of people who were expecting to see Exxon punished for ruining a way of life for thousands of fishermen, said Brian O'Neill, one of the main attorneys for the plaintiffs.

"I feel bad for all the claimants, that they're not going to get enough money to put together their lives again," O'Neill said. "I feel bad for all the claimants because they're not getting the satisfaction knowing that there was a just punishment administered to Exxon. And I feel bad for all of the claimants because the judicial system has let them down. It just isn't fair."

There's some concern that lowering punitive damages undercuts an effective financial deterrent against marine shipping accidents in Alaska, Gov. Sarah Palin said.

"It is tragic that so many Alaska fishermen and their families have had their lives put on hold waiting for this decision," Palin said. "My heart goes out to those affected, especially the families of the thousands of Alaskans who passed away while waiting for justice."

Rex Tillerson, Exxon's chairman and chief executive officer, issued a short statement saying that the company continues to regret the accident, but he didn't specifically address the Supreme Court decision other than to acknowledge that the court had issued it.

"We know this has been a very difficult time for everyone involved," Tillerson said. "We have worked hard over many years to address the impacts of the spill and to prevent such accidents from happening in our company again."

The case will go back to the U.S. District Court in Anchorage within the next several weeks. The court is expected to issue a final ruling without a hearing, a step that leads to issuing payments to the plaintiffs.

With interest, the total award adds up to nearly $1 billion. Much of that will go to commercial fishing interests, and about 22.4 percent to lawyer's fees. The 32,677 plaintiffs can expect to begin getting money within 90 to 120 days, said David Oesting, the Anchorage attorney who's been working on the case for two decades.

Exxon based its appeal on an 1818 court decision that holds ship owners aren't liable for punitive damages for the actions of their agents at sea unless they're complicit in their behavior. The court was divided 4-4 on that issue, so the lower court decision that the company is liable for the actions of the Valdez captain, Joseph Hazelwood, will stand.

The plaintiffs have been waiting for their compensation since 1994, when a jury in Anchorage returned a $5 billion punitive-damages award against Exxon Mobil. The company has been appealing the verdict since then. In 2006, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals cut the award to $2.5 billion. Exxon appealed that decision to the Supreme Court, which heard oral arguments in the case Feb. 27.

Although business groups such as the American Petroleum Institute and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce had hoped that the Supreme Court would use the case as a way to curb large punitive damages against corporations in non-maritime cases, Wednesday's Supreme Court decision applies specifically to punitive damages under maritime law.

Exxon won on "the narrowest grounds possible," said Jonathan Adler, the director of the Center for Business Law and Regulation at Case Western Reserve University School of Law in Cleveland.

Still, the court laid out a careful and deliberative case for curtailing punitive damages, which some legal experts say could be used as a model outside maritime law.

It probably will begin to creep into other cases in which lawyers defending corporations are seeking to scale back sizable punitive-damage awards, said Amar Sarwal, the chief litigation counsel for the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

"We see this as a very big victory, principally because we think that the court understands our concerns," said Sarwal, whose organization filed a friend-of-the-court brief on Exxon's behalf.

(Michael Doyle in Washington and the Anchorage Daily News' Tom Kizzia in Anchorage contributed to this article.)

Related stories from McClatchy DC

national

Supreme Court's Exxon Valdez ruling shakes Alaska town

June 25, 2008 06:51 PM

national

Murkowski pushes bill to ease tax on Exxon oil spill payout

June 17, 2008 07:05 AM

  Comments  

Videos

Bishop Michael Curry leads prayer during funeral for George H.W. Bush

Barack Obama surprises Michelle at event for her new book ‘Becoming’

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Read Next

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

By Kate Irby

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

California Republican Party Chair Jim Brulte is sounding a warning on the GOP needing to appeal more to Asian and Latino Americans. California House Republicans don’t know how to do that.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM
Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM
House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM
Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

Congress

Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

December 20, 2018 02:59 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story