McClatchy DC Logo

29,000 sex offenders found on MySpace | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National

29,000 sex offenders found on MySpace

April Bethea - Charlotte Observer

    ORDER REPRINT →

July 24, 2007 10:38 PM

MySpace.com has found thousands more registered sex offenders with profiles on the Web site than had been previously disclosed, N.C. Attorney General Roy Cooper said Tuesday.

MySpace told state officials last week that it had found more than 29,000 sex offenders on the social networking site. That's more than four times the 7,000 profiles the company said in May that it had removed. It's not yet clear how many of those offenders live in North Carolina.

Cooper and other attorneys general have demanded that MySpace provide data on registered sex offenders using the site. After initially withholding the information, citing federal privacy laws, MySpace began sharing the information in May.

The new figures Cooper announced Tuesday include only those offenders who created MySpace profiles using their real names, according to a document given to state lawmakers. But officials believe there could be more offenders using the site, possibly under fake names.

SIGN UP

A call to MySpace was not immediately returned. However, the company announced in December that it was working with Sentinel Tech Holding to create a program that would let it block convicted sex offenders from accessing the site.

Cooper testified Tuesday before a state House committee to urge support for a proposed law to restrict access to social Web sites like MySpace, Facebook or Xanga.

The sites let users create personal profiles and connect with other users by posting messages, photos or video. The proposed bill, which has already cleared the state Senate, would require children to receive parental permission before creating profiles on the social sites, and require the Web sites to verify the parents' identity and age.

The proposal also would ban N.C. sex offenders from registering on the social sites and increase penalties for soliciting minors for sex over the Internet.

Cooper is working with top law enforcement officials in other states in pressuring MySpace to use age and identity verification methods voluntarily. Based on media reports, Cooper's office found more than 100 criminal incidents across the nation this year of adults using MySpace to prey or attempt to prey on children.

Most recently, a Virginia man pleaded guilty on Monday to soliciting a child by computer and kidnapping, charges related to a sexual relationship with a 14-year-old N.C. girl he met on MySpace, according to authorities.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police do monitor MySpace. But creating a profile isn't necessarily illegal unless it violates the condition of an offender's parole, said Officer Hassan Peterson, a department spokesman.

Still, Cooper and others say it is important to find ways to keep young Web users safe.

"A computer is a doorway into your home," said Brian Lewis, executive director for Covenant with North Carolina's Children, which is supporting of Cooper's proposed bill.

"Children use the Internet to make friends, to have conversation, to have romances, to live these fantasies. And there are people out there, unfortunately, that wish to do children wrong." The Associated Press contributed.

  Comments  

Videos

Bishop Michael Curry leads prayer during funeral for George H.W. Bush

Barack Obama surprises Michelle at event for her new book ‘Becoming’

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

By Kate Irby

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

California Republican Party Chair Jim Brulte is sounding a warning on the GOP needing to appeal more to Asian and Latino Americans. California House Republicans don’t know how to do that.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM
Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM
House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM
Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

Congress

Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

December 20, 2018 02:59 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story