McClatchy DC Logo

Mayor declines to apologize for remarks about black youths | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National

Mayor declines to apologize for remarks about black youths

Peter St. Onge - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

July 13, 2007 02:26 PM

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Charlotte Mayor Pat McCrory was unrepentant on a Charlotte radio show Friday about comments he made last week on African-American youths.

McCrory, speaking by phone on the Jaye Delai show on WQNC, said he was open to dialogue about a memo he wrote July 5 congratulating police on arrests the night before during Fourth of July festivities in uptown.

In the memo, McCrory wrote that "too many of our youth, primarily African-American, are imitating and/or participating in a gangster type of dress, attitude, behavior and action." The comments stirred criticism in the black community, including a request for an apology from Ken White, president of the Charlotte branch of the NAACP. McCrory has declined to issue an apology.

On Friday's midday show, the mayor told Delai his comments were not different than what black leaders have said in the past in Charlotte. "We need to deal with these issues head on," said McCrory, who noted that his administration has developed mentoring and jobs programs for disadvantaged youths.

SIGN UP

The mayor was joined on the air by White and City Council member Anthony Foxx, who said McCrory's memo did little toward creating dialogue or change.

"I think part of the problem over the last week is that these issues are extremely sensitive and they're extremely charged," Foxx said. " However you feel about them, I feel like they deserve more than a 5 o'clock memorandum off the 15th floor."

Said McCrory: "I've done much more than a memo."

Callers were both critical and supportive. "If you're going to keep knocking these kids," said one, "then that's how these kids are going to feel."

Another caller, who identified herself as a Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools teacher, said the mayor's memo was accurate: "He was making a statement about the children who were down at the Fourth of July event."

After the show, McCrory said: "I didn't change my tune. I also hope we start talking solutions as opposed to style of communication."

Host Delai, who along with Foxx and White didn't return calls for comment, was complimentary on the air about McCrory's appearance - "As a man, I appreciate you coming on here," he said - but he also asked the mayor to be more a part of answers for the black community.

To that end, Delai implored the McCrory administration on-air to match $25,000 raised for Emerging Leaders Institute, a West Charlotte High School program in which the host is involved. He also asked for a monthly meeting with McCrory - "20 to 30 minutes of your time."

McCrory invited Delai to submit a funding proposal on behalf of Emerging Leaders Institute. "Every budget session, we welcome groups that want to lift this city up," the mayor said.

As for the monthly meeting - yes, said McCrory.

"The more I hear, the more I learn," he said.

But: "I'm not going to be hesitant to give my opinion, either."

  Comments  

Videos

Bishop Michael Curry leads prayer during funeral for George H.W. Bush

Barack Obama surprises Michelle at event for her new book ‘Becoming’

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

By Kate Irby

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

California Republican Party Chair Jim Brulte is sounding a warning on the GOP needing to appeal more to Asian and Latino Americans. California House Republicans don’t know how to do that.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM
Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM
House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM
Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

Congress

Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

December 20, 2018 02:59 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story