McClatchy DC Logo

More National Hurricane Center staff members want Proenza out | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National

More National Hurricane Center staff members want Proenza out

Martin Merzer - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

July 05, 2007 10:17 AM

MIAMI - Nearly half of the staff of the National Hurricane Center joined the rebellion against director Bill Proenza late Thursday, issuing a statement calling for his immediate dismissal - another blow to his struggle to keep his job.

"The effective functioning of the National Hurricane Center is at stake," said the statement, signed by seven hurricane forecasters and 16 other employees, including many staff scientists and Proenza's secretary.

"The undersigned staff of the National Hurricane Center has concluded that the center needs a new director," the manifesto said, "and with the heart of the hurricane season fast approaching, urges the Department of Commerce to make this happen as quickly as possible."

The dramatic escalation of the battle - and of the turmoil - at the hurricane center came two days after three senior forecasters told The Miami Herald that he should leave and another senior forecaster criticized Proenza.

SIGN UP

They said his public statements about an aging satellite have undermined confidence in their forecasts. Others believe that his frequent clashes with superiors in Washington have become a serious distraction as the hurricane season deepens.

Earlier this week, federal officials dispatched a special "assessment team" to the hurricane center in West Miami-Dade County, ordering it to conduct an unprecedented review of the facility's leadership and operations.

A spokesman for the National Weather Service said Thursday that the team - which includes an attorney who specializes in personnel matters - will return next week to conduct additional interviews.

Proenza, 62, still is supported by some staffers and by a number of scientific colleagues, including the director of a key NOAA research facility in South Florida.

Proenza did not return calls seeking comment Thursday, but he said earlier this week that he had no intention of stepping down from the prominent post, which he has held for only six months.

An employee who spoke with Proenza early Thursday said he sensed no change in that determination.

But the weight of the statement issued Thursday evening - and the significance attached to the large and diverse number of people who signed it - cast deepening doubt on his ability to retain the post.

Virtually the entire senior staff endorsed the manifesto, including:

Senior hurricane forecasters Lixion Avila, James Franklin, Rick Knabb and Richard Pasch; hurricane forecasters Eric Blake, Dan Brown and Michelle Mainelli; meteorologists Wally Barnes, Robert Berg, John Cangialosi, Hugh Cobb, Martin Nelson, Gladys Rubio, Chris Sisko and Patricia Wallace; oceanographer Stephen Baig; executive officer Ahsha Tribble; administrative officer Vivian Jorge, and Proenza's administrative assistant, Evangelina Maruly.

"This group believes that we need new leadership here and it believes we need it quickly," Franklin told The Miami Herald.

He said that the 23 signatures represents about half of the total staff - and 70 percent of those who had an opportunity to see the statement.

In another development, a prominent private forecaster joined the call for Proenza's resignation or ouster.

Jeff Masters, chief meteorologist for the Weather Underground, which provides forecasts for The Associated Press, Google and hundreds of other clients, questioned the scientific basis of Proenza's campaign to replace the aging QuikScat satellite.

"There's never been anything like this," Masters said. "He should resign this month."

Masters, whose online site serves web pages that receive 10 million visits a day, including The Miami Herald's forecast-related web pages, criticized the basis for Proenza's assertion that the loss of QuikScat would diminish the accuracy of two-day forecasts by 10 percent and three-day forecasts by 16 percent.

The satellite, launched in 1999, is operating beyond its designed life span. A replacement has not yet been designed, though preliminary plans are under way.

Many forecasters and researchers say a replacement should feature upgraded capabilities, even at the risk of delaying deployment, and that Proenza's public campaign could work against that.

At any rate, Masters said, Proenza's estimates of forecast deterioration are based on a study that examines a small number of forecasts, is contradicted by other studies and has not yet been published in a peer-reviewed journal, an unusual circumstance.

"To be in the most visible and responsible scientific position in our profession of meteorology, everything you do has to come from the science," Masters said. "You have to fairly present it. If you don't have the integrity to do that, you shouldn't be in the job."

But a leading QuikScat expert rose to Proenza's defense.

Bob Atlas, who runs NOAA's Atlantic Oceanographic and Meteorological Laboratory on Virginia Key, Fla., was a key member of the team that developed and initially worked with QuikScat.

He said the report challenged by Masters, even if not yet published, appears to be a "rigorous study" that provides the "most comprehensive study of QuikScat data related to hurricane predictions."

Atlas said nothing he has heard Proenza say about QuikScat has made him wince, though Atlas added that NOAA is developing ways to mitigate the loss of QuikScat data.

In addition, he said, Proenza's estimates of 16 percent and 10 percent have been misunderstood: They apply to the accuracy of one of many computerized forecast models rather than actual, end-result predictions by hurricane forecasters.

"Bill's worked very hard and very well to position the hurricane center to interact well with researchers," Atlas said.

But also on Virginia Key, Otis Brown, the dean of the University of Miami's Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, which works closely with hurricane forecasters, said he was disturbed by the current climate at the center.

"When you have this much apparent turmoil and you don't have everyone at least superficially pulling in the same direction, that cannot be in the best interests of an organization," Brown said.

  Comments  

Videos

U.S. border officials fire tear gas at migrants in Tijuana

Bishop Michael Curry leads prayer during funeral for George H.W. Bush

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM

Read Next

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

White House

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

By Stuart Leavenworth

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 04, 2019 03:45 PM

The Trump administration has delayed release of $16 billion in disaster mitigation funds, prompting complaints from Puerto Rico and Texas, which are worried about the approaching hurricane season.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

Congress

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Congress

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM
Perry Deane Young, NC-born Vietnam War correspondent and author, has died

National

Perry Deane Young, NC-born Vietnam War correspondent and author, has died

January 03, 2019 01:48 PM
Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

Congress

Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

January 03, 2019 04:31 PM
Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

Congress

Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

January 03, 2019 03:22 PM
Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

Congress

Joe Cunningham votes no on Pelosi as speaker, backs House campaign head instead

January 03, 2019 12:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story