McClatchy DC Logo

Supreme Court to review Guantanamo ruling | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National

Supreme Court to review Guantanamo ruling

Carol Rosenberg - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

June 29, 2007 05:43 PM

In a surprise reversal, the U.S. Supreme Court said without comment Friday that it will review a Guantanamo Bay detainee's challenge of the White House's war-on-terror powers.

The court's action, granting a so-called writ of certiorari, came in a combined case carrying the names of a Kuwaiti and an Algerian who have been held at the remote U.S. Navy base in Cuba since 2002. Neither has been charged with a crime.

It means both Bush administration and detainee lawyers will likely go before the court in October for a third time to resolve whether and how a president can indefinitely detain an "enemy combatant'' and sometimes subject him to military trial.

The White House expressed regret at the decision.

SIGN UP

"We did not think that court review at this time was necessary, but we are confident in our legal position,'' said National Security Council spokesman Gordon Johndroe.

"We're elated,'' countered Anthony Romero, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union.

The case bringing Guantánamo back to court revolves around the status hearings staged by officers at the Cuba base to simulate battlefield reviews -- and comes at a time of far-flung criticism of the so-called Combatant Status Review Tribunals.

The Pentagon designed the CSRT system to study, one by one, each Guantánamo captive's file to see whether he was properly held as an “enemy combatant'' … in response to a 2004 Supreme Court ruling.

But on June 4, military judges dismissed the only two active war-crimes cases against Guantánamo captives. They ruled, separately, that the Pentagon system did not distinguish between "unlawful enemy combatants,'' a congressionally mandated prerequisite to a trial -- and "lawful enemy combatants,'' such as prisoners of war entitled to be on the battlefield.

Then, last week, lawyers for detainees held without charge at Guantánamo as enemy combatants submitted a sworn affidavit from a veteran military officer describing the process as unfair.

"What were purported to be specific statements of fact lacked even the most fundamental earmarks of objectively credible evidence,'' wrote Lt. Col. Stephen Abraham, 46, a reserves military intelligence officer and California attorney.

Abraham was mobilized for six months in 2004 and 2005 to the Pentagon, where he worked in the tribunal bureaucracy that reviewed the cases of all 500 Guantánamo captives.

He described a haphazard, inconsistent system of presenting at-times classified intelligence to military officers assigned specifically to serve at Guantánamo, listen to each captive argue his side of the case and then issue a recommendation on whether to keep the man --or let him go.

Under the court's rules, Friday's decision to review the issue meant that five justices agreed to hear the case.

On April 2, only Justices Stephen Breyer, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and David Souter said they wanted to review the cases bearing the names of Algerian detainee Lakhdar Boumediene, now 41, and Kuwaiti Fawzi al Odah, now 30.

Both men have been held --without charge-- as “enemy combatants'' since January 2002.

Justices John Paul Stevens and Anthony Kennedy wrote at the time that it was premature to intervene, suggesting that it may have been those two justices who had a change of heart -- producing Friday's surprise decision on the verge of summer recess.

In Washington, al Odah attorney Matthew MacClean said the justices will decide the constitutionality of a law adopted by Congress that stripped detainees of U.S. District Court habeas corpus review, and gave a federal appeals court more limited review.

"The Supreme Court has agreed to decide whether or not the Military Commissions Act is constitutional where it withdraws habeas corpus jurisdiction for Guantanamo detainees,'' he said.

The principle of habeas corpus allows a captive to challenge his detention in federal court; the act gives an appeals court a much more limited scope of review.

Hours after the Supreme Court took the case, an Army judge upheld the dismissal of a Military Commission case against captive Omar Khadr, 21, accused of the 2002 grenade killing of a U.S. Special Forces medic in Afghanistan.

“The term 'unlawful' is not excess baggage, and it is not mere semantics,'' wrote Army Col. Peter E. Brownback III, reasserting his earlier ruling.

A Pentagon spokesman had said Brownback and another judge, Navy Capt. Keith Allred, had been wrong to separately dismiss charges against Khadr and another captive because there was "no material difference'' between lawful and unlawful enemy combatants.

Congress, in fact, had distinguished between lawful and unlawful combatants when it created the 2006 Military Commissions Act as a remedy fr another Supreme Court ruling -- Hamdan vs. Rumsfeld, which declared illegal an earlier commissions formula.

Friday's agreement to hear Boumediene and Al Odah vs. Bush could produce a ruling that could provide guidance on how to resolve the thicket of cases in the military and civilian systems.

Earlier this month, the Fourth Circuit Federal Appeals Court ruled that the Defense Department could not indefinitely hold Qatari captive Ali al Marri, a legal U.S. resident and as of today the lone “enemy combatant'' on U.S. soil.

Jose Padilla had been another but, after a Fourth Circuit setback, was charged with a crime and sent to Miami, where he is currently on trial.

An Illinois law professor who represents 17 Yemeni men at Guantánamo Friday called the reversal "an extraordinary step.''

"It highlights the fundamental importance of these issues and, most important, it means that the detainees will not be forced to wait years for the opportunity to have the court weigh in on their constitutional rights,'' said Marc Falkoff of the Northern Illinois University College of Law in DeKalb.

Falkoff caused a stir this month by publishing a book of poetry written by Guantánamo detainees. It was translated by Pentagon-approved linguists and reviewed by military censors.

A Pentagon spokesman called "what they claim to be poetry … seemingly not done so for the sake of art.''

  Comments  

Videos

Bishop Michael Curry leads prayer during funeral for George H.W. Bush

Barack Obama surprises Michelle at event for her new book ‘Becoming’

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

By Kate Irby

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

California Republican Party Chair Jim Brulte is sounding a warning on the GOP needing to appeal more to Asian and Latino Americans. California House Republicans don’t know how to do that.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM
Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM
House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM
Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

Congress

Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

December 20, 2018 02:59 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story