Nation & World

Trump says concussion-like symptoms US troops suffered in Iran strike aren’t ‘serious’

President Donald Trump downplayed the injuries of several U.S. troops who were treated for concussions after an Iran missile attack, saying, “It’s not very serious.”

Trump said during a Wednesday press conference in Davos, Switzerland, that he heard the soldiers had “headaches and a couple of other things.”

“I’ve seen what Iran has done with their roadside bombs to our troops. … I’ve seen people that were horribly, horribly injured in that area, in that war,” he said.

In response to questions on the soldiers who were treated last week, Trump said, “No, I do not consider that to be bad injuries, no.”

How serious are concussions?

A concussion is a traumatic brain injury that can happen after a blow to the head or violent shaking of the head and body. Concussion symptoms may not appear immediately after the injury, but once they do, the symptoms may include headaches, confusion, loss of coordination and memory loss.

Rest and limiting certain activities are the best remedies for a concussion. But a severe concussion or repeated concussions can be fatal. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says traumatic brain injuries contributed to the deaths of more than 56,000 people in 2014.

Shifting answers on US injuries

U.S. officials have given conflicting reports on injuries since Iran carried out the airstrike on an Iraqi base Jan. 8 in response to the U.S. killing of Iran Gen. Qassem Soleimani.

Secretary of Defense Mark Esper said on the day of the attack that there were “no casualties.” The U.S. military defines a casualty as a fatal or non-fatal injury.

U.S. Central Command spokesman Capt. Bill Urban issued a statement on Jan. 17 saying several service members were “treated for concussion symptoms after the blast and are still being assessed.”

Urban said 11 service members were evacuated to Germany and Kuwait for treatment. He said the troops will return to Iraq when deemed fit for duty.

“The health and welfare of our personnel is a top priority and we will not discuss any individual’s medical status,” he said.

When asked about the changing reports on casualties, Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman told CNN that Esper was made aware of the severity of the injuries on Jan. 16.

Hoffman also said casualties were not released immediately because many soldiers returned to duty before the concussion symptoms appeared.

The Pentagon increased the number of casualties Friday, saying 34 service members were diagnosed with traumatic brain injuries. Hoffman told multiple outlets that half remain under medical observation, and the other half have returned to duty in Iraq.

Hoffman said eight service members who were taken to Germany were later moved to the United States for treatment at either their home bases or Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Maryland.

This story was originally published January 22, 2020 at 11:14 AM.

ME
Maya Earls
McClatchy DC
I am a journalist based in Washington, D.C. covering breaking news and politics. I am originally from the Richmond, Va. area, and a VCU and Columbia Journalism grad. When not checking the latest Twitter trends, I am either watching The Golden Girls or soccer.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER