McClatchy DC Logo

Venezuela says it's expelling top U.S. diplomats | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Nation & World

Venezuela says it's expelling top U.S. diplomats

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

May 22, 2018 02:59 PM

WASHINGTON

Venezuelan leader Nicolás Maduro announced that he is expelling the top U.S. diplomat in Venezuela and his deputy for conspiring against Venezuela. He said they must leave for the "dignity and independence" of Venezuela.

Maduro declared Chargé d’Affaires Todd Robinson and his deputy Brian Naranjo "persona non grata"and gave them 48 hours to leave the country during a televised address Tuesday in which he denounced the “offensive” U.S. sanctions, which he said violated international law and caused greater harm and suffering for the Venezuelan people.

“I say to the Government of Donald Trump, I say to the government of the Ku Klux Klan,” Maduro declared to applause from supporters. “I say, not with sanctions, not with threats, you didn’t stop the elections. The elections happened. And they were successful....Venezuelan is the victim of a threat never seen before.”

The State Department said they had seen the reports and defended Robinson and Naranjo.

SIGN UP

"We reject completely the false allegations made by Maduro against Chargé Robinson and Deputy Chief of Mission Naranjo," the department said in a statement.

The announcement comes after the United States's latest sanctions against the Venezuelan government in response to what it called an illegitimate and "sham" election Sunday that gave Maduro another six-year term.

The Trump administration announced it was blocking the Venezuelan government from selling off the nation's assets in exchange for cash.

Trump said he signed the executive order to prevent corrupt Venezuelan officials from conducting “fire sales,” and lining their own pockets by selling Venezuelan debt that the nation's people would be saddled with in the future.

"This money belongs to the Venezuelan people," Trump said.

Maduro said Venezuela wants a good relationship with the United States, a relationship based on mutual respect. But he said it appears impossible.

“What they don’t want to understand is Venezuela is sovereign and free,” Maduro said. “Venezuela will fight. "

Robinson has only been in the job at the U.S. Embassy in Caracas for a few months. The career diplomat previously served as the U.S. Ambassador to the Republic of Guatemala from September 16, 2014 to September 20, 2017.

Franco Ordoñez: 202-383-6155, @francoordonez

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

U.S. border officials fire tear gas at migrants in Tijuana

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

New USS Cole case judge quitting military to join immigration court

January 07, 2019 12:20 PM

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Read Next

New USS Cole case judge quitting military to join immigration court

Guantanamo

New USS Cole case judge quitting military to join immigration court

By Carol Rosenberg

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 07, 2019 12:20 PM

In another setback to resumption of the USS Cole tribunal at Guantánamo, the Air Force colonel who was supposed to preside in the case has found employment in an immigration court.

KEEP READING

MORE NATION & WORLD

National

War Within Initiative raises money to help erase military medical debt

January 07, 2019 04:10 PM

Congress

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM
Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

Congress

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM
HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

White House

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

January 04, 2019 03:45 PM
Perry Deane Young, NC-born Vietnam War correspondent and author, has died

National

Perry Deane Young, NC-born Vietnam War correspondent and author, has died

January 03, 2019 01:48 PM
Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

Congress

Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

January 03, 2019 04:31 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story