McClatchy DC Logo

Immigration officials admit N.C. murder suspect was in gang database | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Courts & Crime

Immigration officials admit N.C. murder suspect was in gang database

By Franco Ordoñez - McClatchy Washington Bureau

    ORDER REPRINT →

April 21, 2015 06:42 PM

Federal immigration officials admitted this week that the suspect in the February slayings of four people in Charlotte, N.C., was granted special immigration status – shielding him from deportation two years ago despite being listed in a federal database as a gang member.

Emmanuel Jesus Rangel-Hernandez, 19, has been charged with four counts of first-degree murder in connection with a three-day shooting spree that included the death of one-time “America’s Next Top Model” contestant Mirjana Puhar.

The revelation casts a shadow on the Obama administration’s efforts to expand the controversial immigration program that’s intended to protect one of the most sympathetic groups of immigrants in the country illegally – young people brought here as children.

Federal authorities have since found 13 other cases in the same federal crime database of people were approved for protection from deportation. Those cases are now being reconsidered.

SIGN UP

Rangel-Hernandez never should have received the protective status and likely would have been deported had U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services followed proper procedures and protocols, federal officials said in a letter Friday to Sen. Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, who had been questioning the case.

In 2013, Rangel-Hernandez applied for and was granted the special protective status, known as Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA, despite the fact that he was listed in a federal crime database as a known gang member.

It’s unclear whether his background check failed to discover the record in the database or whether an adjudicator approved the application despite knowledge of the gang ties.

Rangel-Hernandez was slated for deportation as a result of a 2012 arrest for possession of marijuana. The charges were eventually dismissed after he was granted deferred action, but the removal proceeding continued until December 2013.

Grassley and Sen. Thom Tillis, R-N.C., highlighted the case after a federal whistleblower told them the U.S. government had records of Rangel-Hernandez’s gang ties.

“The flawed implementation of the president’s blanket deferred action program has created a loophole that allows dangerous criminals who came here illegally – even known gang members – to stay in the country,” Tillis said in a statement Tuesday.

Citizenship and Immigration Services officials admitted in the letter to Grassley’s office that federal officials should not have granted Rangel-Hernandez deferred action.

“Based on standard procedures and protocols in place at the time, the DACA request and related employment authorization should not have been approved,” León Rodríguez, the Citizenship and Immigration Services director, wrote in the letter.

More than 600,000 people have received protection from deportation and granted work permits through the 2012 deferral program, according to Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Rafael Prieto, an editor and columnist with Charlotte’s Que Pasa Mi Gente Spanish-language newspaper, said Tuesday that Citizenship and Immigration Services messed up. It should never have given Rangel-Hernandez deferred action, but the mistake doesn’t detract from the benefits of a program that has “transformed the lives” of hundreds of thousands of young people.

Prieto noted that Rangel-Hernandez had to pass several different background checks and was not listed on a North Carolina gang database.

He described the efforts by Grassley and Tillis as politically motivated with a single objective: to damage a good program.

“The majority of these kids are good people,” Prieto said in an interview. “They’re contributing to the country.”

But North Carolina’s senior senator, Republican Richard Burr, called the revelations “chilling.”

“The administration has promised Americans that those who qualify for their executive order would fully meet a set of guidelines meant to keep criminals out of the country,” Burr said in a statement. “We now know that isn’t true.”

  Comments  

Videos

How police use DNA ‘familial searches’ to probe murders

How does a crime get classified as ‘domestic terrorism’?

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

By Andrea Drusch and

Lesley Clark

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM

Sen. Ted Cruz has long pushed changes to prevent keep violent offenders from getting out early. In the final days of the Congressional calendar, the Texas Republican got his way, something criminal justice reform advocates hope will bring other reluctant conservatives on board.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM
Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM
‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM
How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM
Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Trump gives Kelley Paul’s push for criminal justice reform a major boost

Congress

Trump gives Kelley Paul’s push for criminal justice reform a major boost

November 14, 2018 05:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story