McClatchy DC Logo

Judge denies Sandusky's request for trial delay | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Courts & Crime

Judge denies Sandusky's request for trial delay

Mike Dawson - State College - Centre Daily Times

    ORDER REPRINT →

March 01, 2012 07:22 AM

Barring any "extraordinary circumstances," it appears the national media circus will descend upon Bellefonte in May after all.

That's because a judge Wednesday denied Jerry Sandusky's request to push back his trial until the summer. Senior Judge John Cleland said there’s still two-and-a-half months for the defense to prepare before being in court.

Sandusky’s attorney, Joe Amendola, asked the judge to postpone the trial until mid-July. He said he needed more time to locate and interview witnesses and have potential expert witnesses review the case.

But Cleland said the defense and the prosecution agreed on a May trial date back in January and said the sides worked backward to schedule deadlines for pre-trial matters.

SIGN UP

“Absent extraordinary circumstances presented by either the commonwealth or the defendant, postponement of the trial date will only be considered if required by the demands of selecting a jury and providing for their care, conflicting demands on courtroom space, or similar logistical complications,” Cleland said.

Cleland wrote in his eight-page memo that delaying the trial should be the last resort if other matters can’t be figured out. Furthermore, Cleland wrote he would need clearer reasons to justify a delay than what was requested.

In addition, the judge said prosecutors will have to give the defense the addresses and phone numbers of any witnesses identified in discovery materials. The prosecution can object to that in writing.

Amendola said the defense will push ahead and be ready to present his case when the trial begins.

A spokesman for the Attorney General’s Office declined comment.

Jury selection is scheduled for Monday, May 14. The judge previously ruled that a Centre County jury will hear the case.

Sandusky, 68, remains under house arrest awaiting trial on 52 counts of abusing young boys he met through The Second Mile between 1994 and 2008. He denies the allegations.

To read more, visit www.centredaily.com.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

HOMEPAGE

Grand jury presentation on Jerry Sandusky, 12/7/11

December 07, 2011 02:04 PM

HOMEPAGE

Jerry Sandusky coverage from the Centre Daily Times

November 08, 2011 12:44 PM

  Comments  

Videos

How police use DNA ‘familial searches’ to probe murders

How does a crime get classified as ‘domestic terrorism’?

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM
Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM
Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM
‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM
How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM
Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story