McClatchy DC Logo

Zahra Baker's father wants to take her remains to Australia | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Courts & Crime

Zahra Baker's father wants to take her remains to Australia

Gary L. Wright - The Charlotte Observer

    ORDER REPRINT →

November 04, 2011 07:23 AM

LENOIR, N.C. — Adam Baker, whose wife pleaded guilty to murdering his 10-year-old daughter, Zahra, says he feels like a hostage.

He can't return to Australia while the felony and misdemeanor crimes he's been accused of committing remain pending. And he can't work, he says, because he's been accused of being in the country illegally.

"I want to go back to Australia. So I can take Zahra back home," Baker told the Observer Thursday as he sat in a courtroom at the Caldwell County Courthouse waiting to find out if prosecutors would dispose of the charges against him.

Baker, 34, is charged in Caldwell County with assault with a deadly weapon, two counts of communicating threats, failure to return rental property and five counts of writing worthless checks. The offenses are all misdemeanors, and on Thursday the cases were continued until January.

SIGN UP

Baker also is charged in Catawba County with felony identity theft and felony obtaining property by false pretense. He's scheduled to appear in court on those charges on Monday.

None of the charges relate to Zahra's death. All the misdemeanors have been pending since 2010.

"I don't intend to plead guilty," Adam Baker told the Observer.

Adam Baker's attorney, Shell Pearce, also expressed frustration Thursday that his client's misdemeanor cases had been postponed until 2012.

"We were ready to go to trial," Pearce told reporters. "Adam wants it over. The man says he's not guilty."

Elisa Baker pleaded guilty in September to second-degree murder in connection with Zahra's death and was sentenced to 15 to 18 years in prison. She is now in the Mecklenburg County jail awaiting trial on federal drug charges.

Zahra's body was dismembered in 2010 and her body parts scattered at different locations in Catawba County.

In an interview with the Observer last month, Elisa Baker insisted that she is innocent of Zahra's murder. She portrayed herself as a loving stepmother and unwilling participant in covering up Zahra's mysterious death. She accused Adam Baker of dismembering his daughter and hiding her body parts.

To read the complete article, visit www.charlotteobserver.com.

  Comments  

Videos

How police use DNA ‘familial searches’ to probe murders

How does a crime get classified as ‘domestic terrorism’?

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

By Andrea Drusch and

Lesley Clark

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM

Sen. Ted Cruz has long pushed changes to prevent keep violent offenders from getting out early. In the final days of the Congressional calendar, the Texas Republican got his way, something criminal justice reform advocates hope will bring other reluctant conservatives on board.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM
Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM
‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM
How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM
Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Trump gives Kelley Paul’s push for criminal justice reform a major boost

Congress

Trump gives Kelley Paul’s push for criminal justice reform a major boost

November 14, 2018 05:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story