DURHAM, N.C. — The boyfriend of Crystal Mangum -- stabbed April 3 during a domestic altercation -- has died, Durham police confirmed this morning.
Durham police watch commander Lt. B. Reitz confirmed the death but did not have any information on additional charges against Mangum, who is currently in the Durham County jail on a charge of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury. Her bail is set at $300,000.
"The case remains under investigation and we do anticipate upgrading the charges," Durham police spokeswoman Kammie Michael said this morning.
Michael said Reginald Daye died Wednesday evening at Duke Hospital.
Police were dispatched to 3507 Century Oaks Drive at 3:15 a.m. on April 3. They found a 46-year-old man who had been stabbed in the torso.
Mangum, the woman who was at the center of the Duke University lacrosse scandal, was told at her bond hearing to have no contact with Daye.
"Stay away from him. Don't text him. Don't Facebook him. Don't have anyone else do it on your behalf," District Court Judge Nancy Gordon said.
Five years ago, Mangum accused members of the Duke lacrosse team of sexually assaulting her while she was working as a stripper for an escort service. The accusations were eventually labeled as false and the case was dismissed by state Attorney General Roy Cooper, but not before the case garnered nationwide attention.
Mangum made the headlines again last year when Durham police charged her with felony arson, child abuse, vandalism and resisting a law enforcement officer.
To read the complete article, visit www.newsobserver.com.
Comments