McClatchy DC Logo

Ex-FBI agent says he 'kidnapped,' deported Bahamian fugitives | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Courts & Crime

Ex-FBI agent says he 'kidnapped,' deported Bahamian fugitives

Jay Weaver - The Miami Herald

    ORDER REPRINT →

March 31, 2011 07:00 AM

In secretly recorded conversations, a former FBI agent said he routinely arrested Bahamian criminal defendants in South Florida and unlawfully sent them back to their homeland on commercial airline flights without any formal review of their cases in U.S. courts.

The shocking admissions by retired FBI Agent Gerard “Jerry” Forrester, the FBI’s Miami liaison officer in the Caribbean in the 1990s, surfaced this week as part of an unrelated civil court battle in the Bahamas between New York hedge fund billionaire, Louis Bacon, and Canadian fashion mogul, Peter Nygard, who own estates in exclusive Lyford Cay.

According to an affidavit of the audio recordings, Forrester said a Bahamian murder suspect was arrested in Miami, held briefly in jail, placed on a plane and later killed in police custody in The Bahamas. He said the defendant’s death was brought to the attention of then-U.S. Attorney Janet Reno.

“I kidnapped him back to Nassau,” Forrester said while being recorded last year by former Scotland Yard detective Alick Morrison, who was working as a private investigator for Nygard. “They had him for about 10 hours and the guy wound up dead.”

SIGN UP

Forrester, a private investigator now working with a former Bahamian cop who was cleared in the 1998 killing of the defendant in police custody, downplayed his statements on the tapes: “Yes, I did say it. Was it true? No. Why did I embellish? Because I brag,” he said with a chuckle.

The affidavit, filed in The Bahamas along with Nygard’s defamation case against Bacon and others, does not indicate how many times Forrester may have forcibly removed Bahamian fugitives from South Florida. The FBI in Miami declined to comment.

Under federal law, foreign nationals wanted on an arrest warrant issued in their native country have the legal right to challenge their extradition or removal in U.S. courts.

Take the case of Manuel Noriega, the deposed Panamanian strongman, who served 20 years in a federal prison in Miami-Dade for drug trafficking. He was allowed to fight his extradition to France on related money-laundering charges for more than two years before he was flown there in April 2010.

To read the complete article, visit www.miamiherald.com.

  Comments  

Videos

How police use DNA ‘familial searches’ to probe murders

How does a crime get classified as ‘domestic terrorism’?

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM
Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM
Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM
‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM
How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM
Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story