BEAUFORT, S.C. — Solicitor Duffie Stone said copies of a video released Monday to media outlets that show a tow truck driver firing shots at the man he killed on Christmas Eve might prevent the case from being fairly tried in Beaufort County.
Preston Ryan Oates, 27, of Bluffton and co-owner of Pro Tow, was charged Dec. 27 with manslaughter and felony possession of a weapon during the commission of a violent crime.
Carlos Alberto Olivera, 34, was shot six times -- four times in the back, once in the arm and once in the head -- during an argument over a wheel boot put on Olivera's minivan on Live Oak Walk in Edgefield, according to the Solicitor's Office.
Several news stations Monday broadcast a neighbor's surveillance video that captured portions of the shooting. Olivera's brother, Nelson, who was trying to remove the boot when the shots were fired, provided the footage to the stations.
Beaufort County Sheriff P.J. Tanner and Stone said Tuesday they were unaware Nelson Olivera had a copy of the video and didn't know it had been released to the media.
Read the full story at islandpacket.com
Comments